How do you collect lava in a bucket?

#1lonetigressPosted 2/8/2012 2:49:26 PM
I happen to have a lava spring very near to where my house is, and I'd like to collect some lava in a bucket to attempt making a lighthouse to help guide me home if I get lost (which happens all the time, even with a compass >_< ) However, when I right click the lava with a bucket equipped I don't collect the lava. I think I need to dig around my spring to get the lava so it's not flowing anymore but I'm not sure how. Any tips?
---
---I'm not stupid, just ignorant....
#2MegeasPosted 2/8/2012 2:51:13 PM
water and lava both spread from a source block. The source block is what you actually pick up when you use a bucket. You need to just dig until you find where the lava is coming from and use the bucket on that spot.
#3Suffer_NotPosted 2/8/2012 2:53:27 PM
Lava flows up to 4 blocks away from the source block. It is likely that the flowing lava you're seeing has it's source block nearby, possibly hidden within a wall. You'll need to dig it out a bit in order to find where the source is coming from.

Just be careful, lava hurts. You'll want to have some water in a trench nearby to put yourself out if you catch on fire.

Some building advice for lava: Any flammable block (like wood or wool) within 5 blocks of a lava block can catch fire whenever it wants. You'll want to make sure your lighthouse is not made of things that burn easily, or else you'll want to back up your map before you install the lava.
---
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt323/gejsiv/Ninetailsfoxladyedit.jpg
#4lonetigress(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2012 3:02:43 PM
I actually have a water source right above my lava source, so I don't have to worry about getting burnt (maybe I can try making obsidian later too?). Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just keep digging until I find the source. On a side note, right by where my lava is there is also an abandoned mineshaft. I haven't explored it yet because I'm a bit of a wuss when it come to dark places :). I just wondered, has anyone else ever had a lot of minecraft features all packed into a relatively small space? I also have a pandora/avatar like natural floating island very near to my base too which i've been using for navigation up to this point.
---
---I'm not stupid, just ignorant....
#5Suffer_NotPosted 2/8/2012 3:07:07 PM

I actually have a water source right above my lava source, so I don't have to worry about getting burnt (maybe I can try making obsidian later too?). Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just keep digging until I find the source. On a side note, right by where my lava is there is also an abandoned mineshaft. I haven't explored it yet because I'm a bit of a wuss when it come to dark places :). I just wondered, has anyone else ever had a lot of minecraft features all packed into a relatively small space? I also have a pandora/avatar like natural floating island very near to my base too which i've been using for navigation up to this point.

It all depends on the seed. I've had stretches of completely boring ocean over completely boring gravel and then I've had abandoned mineshafts leading to lava oceans guarded by double skeleton dungeons.

The randomness is part of the fun :D
---
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt323/gejsiv/Ninetailsfoxladyedit.jpg
#6riddlebox89Posted 2/8/2012 5:28:28 PM
you jump in and wait for the bucket to get full.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#77Nitro7Blazer7Posted 2/8/2012 8:58:38 PM
Picture of the spring?

Is it coming out of a wall? If so, you need to collect it at the top.
---
I'm a real Porcupine and I have sharp Quills!