Is there any way to expand my personal inventory space?

#1VividAxisPosted 4/19/2012 2:53:58 AM
I've only been playing this game for about a week but I haven't found a way to do it within the game itself. Is there a mod or anything I can do to be able to carry more stuff?
#2TwilightKing13Posted 4/19/2012 3:38:29 AM
Look at the backpack-mod, you can find it on the minecraft forums.
---
"Any voice can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart! " ~Sho Minamimoto
~~Twilight King~~
#3VividAxis(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2012 6:26:07 AM
Thank you! Have you used the Backpack mod before / have you had any problems with it (in single player)?

If anyone else wants it:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/backpack/
#4MegeasPosted 4/19/2012 7:08:33 AM
Seeing how you have only played a week I would like to at least inform you that you can make chests to store extra items in. While not your own inventory it can serve the same function as an inventory saving things for latter use.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Chest
#5VividAxis(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2012 10:32:28 AM
Thanks Megeas. :D I appreciate your kindness. I don't like looking at the wiki but I've figured out how to make planks, sticks, weapons, chests, boats, and I think most of the very basic things. ;) I know there's a lot more I don't know but part of the fun of the game is to figure it out. I want to carry more with me because I'm starting to travel further away from home and it's a bit of a pain to have to come all the way back so often. I mark my way with lights so I can get back and I have to carry a lot of torches when I leave. I'm certain I won't need most of the stuff I find but I want to try to keep a few of each thing I find so I can experiment with it later.

I think this backpack mod is going to be the solution I need. It requires two mod managers to be installed first. I'll back it up before I do anything but I'm still weary of modifying program files. I've replaced art in the minecraft.jar (terrain.png and kz.png) but downloading three new additions and getting them installed correctly makes me wonder if anyone has had problems with it. On their page they warn that it doesn't work in multiplayer. I wonder what other things it may bother.
#6TuxedoCyanPosted 4/19/2012 11:21:34 AM
I can't imagine why you need to carry so much stuff with you when you go exploring...

All you need is a sword, bow, set of tools, torches, food, maybe some dirt or stone, wood, coal, and a crafting table. That's like 12 inventory slots.

If you are talking about filling up your inventory while away from your base, then make outposts with chests.

Shouldn't have to use a mod for something like this, but to each his own.
---
Like it or leave it. Hey, where are you going?
#7VividAxis(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2012 3:22:54 PM
Sentences used to be written together in paragraphs.

I don't know why people abandoned that concept.

Maybe it's because they think others are less intelligent.

Or they don't like to read when they come to a message board.

Or maybe they get scared when there are so many words all together.

It's weird.

XD

You and I play the game differently. Gathering materials and building are the main things I do. I made outposts but finding my stuff was tedious at best. It's easier if its all organized at one location. I have a huge mansion where I keep everything.

Shouldn't have to use a mod for something like this, because it should've been built into the game. ;)
#8chaosgamer99Posted 4/19/2012 5:01:02 PM
VividAxis posted...
Thanks Megeas. :D I appreciate your kindness. I don't like looking at the wiki but I've figured out how to make planks, sticks, weapons, chests, boats, and I think most of the very basic things. ;) I know there's a lot more I don't know but part of the fun of the game is to figure it out. I want to carry more with me because I'm starting to travel further away from home and it's a bit of a pain to have to come all the way back so often. I mark my way with lights so I can get back and I have to carry a lot of torches when I leave. I'm certain I won't need most of the stuff I find but I want to try to keep a few of each thing I find so I can experiment with it later.

I think this backpack mod is going to be the solution I need. It requires two mod managers to be installed first. I'll back it up before I do anything but I'm still weary of modifying program files. I've replaced art in the minecraft.jar (terrain.png and kz.png) but downloading three new additions and getting them installed correctly makes me wonder if anyone has had problems with it. On their page they warn that it doesn't work in multiplayer. I wonder what other things it may bother.

Mark your way with Cobblestone or Gravel. Torches takes too many resources to make. Cobblestone is basically an infinite resource is you're on a fairly large landmass. While coal, and wood is not infinite (Well, nothing in Minecraft is infinite, but the ratio to cobblestone to wood and coal is much higher)

And even that way, you have a better land mark. And if you don't want to mine, I'll give yout a hint. Make a cobblestone generator

Dig a four long trench. All one deep, except for a two deep hole, one away from the first block you dug. Then, place water on the first block, so it falls into the two block hole. Then, take lava and place it on the other side. VIOLA! Cobblestone!

Also there can be problems with Mods, if installed incorrectly. If you install everything in order, and correctly, you shouldn't have an issue. Sure, there are certain issues where multiple mods will work against each other, and crash the game, but it's quite easy to fix it.

Just google 'How to install [Inster Mod Name]" and it should help. That is something, you don't want to try on your own, because believe me, the experience with trying to download your first mod without help, is horrible.
---
Think about this. What if our reality, is our dreams, and our dreams, are our reality.
#9redeyeddragon36Posted 4/19/2012 5:08:04 PM
VividAxis posted...
Sentences used to be written together in paragraphs.

I don't know why people abandoned that concept.

Maybe it's because they think others are less intelligent.

Or they don't like to read when they come to a message board.

Or maybe they get scared when there are so many words all together.

It's weird.

XD

You and I play the game differently. Gathering materials and building are the main things I do. I made outposts but finding my stuff was tedious at best. It's easier if its all organized at one location. I have a huge mansion where I keep everything.

Shouldn't have to use a mod for something like this, because it should've been built into the game. ;)

y u so sensitive, bro. Also, it shouldn't have been built into the game. There's more than enough inventory space, as previously pointed out.
---
Don't know the answer; resonance!
#10zyrax2301Posted 4/19/2012 5:08:04 PM
chaosgamer99 posted...
While coal, and wood is not infinite (Well, nothing in Minecraft is infinite, but the ratio to cobblestone to wood and coal is much higher)

Wood is one of the only things that is infinite. Charcoal, by extension, is also infinite.

I agree it's a pain in the ass to make torches out of charcoal, but assuming you have trees and saplings, you will never run out of wood. Assuming you have wood and an oven, you will never run out of charcoal.

Yeay
---
Why? Because **** you is why.