Need help with Magic Launcher.

#1Marioface5Posted 5/3/2012 5:00:50 AM
I really like Magic Launcher thanks to how easy it makes installing and uninstalling mods, but there are a few problems I'm having with it. Some mods, like the Equivalent Exchange mod and Portal Gun mod, aren't recognized as being mods. Other things, like SparrowAPI, simply won't work with it because no mod is detected. How can I fix these issues? Can I fix these issues?
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#2ISendOutMarioPosted 5/3/2012 8:13:00 AM
Did you get ModLoader?
---
Mario!! I choose you!!! * wah-hah!!* Use PWN!!
#3benjaminkcPosted 5/3/2012 11:18:58 AM
In my experience, anything that MagicLauncher doesn't recognize as a mod just requires a little bit of repackaging to work. MagicLauncher is looking for a zip containing a bunch of class files. If you open up the mod in question, you'll probably see a readme, some files that say things like "put this in your resources folder, this in your config folder", and a nested zip that contains the actual mod.

So, follow the instructions in that zip to get the data files in the appropriate places, extract the nested zip to wherever you're keeping your mods for magic launcher, and point magic launcher at that.

This does unfortunately make it a bit harder to go back and forth between different versions of minecraft, since those config and data files aren't managed by MagicLauncher the way that the mods themselves are. Not sure if there's a good solution to that currently.
#4Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 2:28:50 PM
Okay, I'll try repackaging some things then.

And yes, I do have ModLoader, as well as Forge, and a couple of other things that mods can depend on.
---
#5Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 3:37:37 PM
I can't edit my previous post for some reason, so I guess I'll have to make a new one. Can someone please explain to me how to repackage these things? For the portalgun mod, which normally said there was no mod, I got the gun to work, but turrets won't actually attack and none of the mod's sounds work. I've tried moving the resources folder around and it doesn't seem to do any good. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I really need help here it seems.
---
#6moonrazkPosted 5/3/2012 10:14:28 PM
You have one hour to edit your posts.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/moonra-zk || http://myanimelist.net/animelist/moonra || http://moonra-zk.deviantart.com/
#7benjaminkcPosted 5/3/2012 10:59:13 PM
I've not used the portalgun mod, but I'll grab it and take a look.

Hmm, that's a bit of an odd one. What exactly did you do? What I would suggest doing is:
- Extract the zip to .minecraft/mods, as per the instructions.
- Re-zip all the .class files under .minecraft/mods/portalgun. Put that zip wherever, and point magic launcher at it. Delete the .class files for the sake of cleanliness.
- Leave the remaining files where they are -- so you should have a .minecraft/mods/portalgun/portalgun directory with png files and an overlay subfolder, and a .minecraft/mods/portalgun/resources directory with sound and streaming subdirectories.

I didn't try it, but that would be my best guess. Try that?
#8NinjaKitsunePosted 5/4/2012 6:00:20 AM
Usually mods come with some sort of readme or there's install instructions on the site. Here's how it works:
If it says something goes in the mods folder, just drop it in the mods folder.
If it says something goes in the jar, drop it wherever you pointed magiclauncher to.
If it says something goes somewhere else, then that part goes wherever it says it should

For example, EE has a resources folder that gets merged with the resources folder in .minecraft, and a zip file that goes in the mods folder. It requires modloader and forge in the jar, so you'd put those in the folder magiclauncher is working with.
---
Jabba doesn't have time for smugglers who drop their pants at the first sign of an imperial cruiser