How do slimes spawn?

#1OboeDudePosted 9/25/2010 6:32:27 PM
So I've had my underground mine for a while now and it has a really long, winding 3 by 3 hallway that I basically built to search for diamond. This mine is close to the bottom of the earth.

In all of my hallways, I put torches sufficiently (so that every part was well lighted).

One time, I go down there and I find a skeleton and a huge slime. Not thinking much about it, I killed them and moved on. The next time I go down I find a huge slime and multiple small slimes.

I have small crevices on the sides whenever I saw coal/iron, so I went back and made sure it was all covered up with torches (because some branched off into a large room)

A few days ago, for the 3rd time I've had the slimes spawn. It's really annoying because none of my other hallways have slimes in them (in fact this is the only place where I've encountered them).

I've pretty much found a place where, without fail, the slimes will spawn. They never appear on my return trip, only when I am descending deeper into my mine.

So, my question is, how do slimes spawn? From what I see, they don't follow the same rules that the other baddies do.

---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
[-iB] www.immortalbrotherhood.com
#2DeepsPrawPosted 9/25/2010 8:00:37 PM
It's random. All the monster spawns are.
---
Justified and Ancient
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-ZE3OtKH0
#3LargePiggyPosted 9/25/2010 8:24:27 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Connolly20Posted 9/25/2010 8:38:16 PM
^ troll.

I;v never seen a slime yet. D:
---
Zombies... I think I love anything that starts with the letter Z.
#5SahuaginPosted 9/25/2010 8:48:56 PM
I have yet to see a slime too, after ~30 hours of play.

For why you are getting spawns, I have three theories:
- there is a tunnel you haven't noticed through which the enemies are coming. (it could be above you, and so they fall into the room)
- or, while you think you have well-lit the area, the light is actually not quite reaching the center of some large area, and it is dark enough there for enemies to spawn
- or, there is a spawner very close to you, on the other side of a wall, and it is spawning enemies into your room. I'm not sure if this is possible if your room is well-lit though.

---
When YHWH destroys people, it is nobody's "fault," but for Him to do so, is right, and that is why He did it. - My sister
#6NynaPosted 9/25/2010 9:21:11 PM
Slimes always appear in my mines, and they love to crawl inside my minecarts, like so:

http://tinypic.com/r/2v8k65f/7
---
Pokemon Pearl FC: 1332-4265-9410
Name: Nyna
#7GodTazPosted 9/25/2010 9:21:48 PM
d'awww.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crz4_UofhS0
#8BringitPosted 9/26/2010 4:39:31 AM
I believe Slimes are the only mob in the game capable of spawning in the light.
---
"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable." - Dean Learner
#9zero_x300Posted 9/26/2010 8:29:53 AM
They also seem to spawn on Peaceful too.
---
Let me add to what I said. I'd rather look at a female period. -phantasmplus
#10JohnsisPosted 9/26/2010 10:56:55 AM
Ya i was playing peaceful for a bit and a bunch of slimes did spawn in my mines on the bottom of the world. So i have no clue how they spawn.
---
PSN: Johnsis
Won't change until Braves win World Series (22-04-08)