Do I need an iron pick to mine redstone?

#1TravelingJackPosted 10/1/2010 8:24:59 PM
I'm shy about using it, I don't have much iron.
---
People who are my friends: 31
People who are my enemies: 14
#2BinkyThePiratePosted 10/1/2010 8:31:32 PM
Yes. Gold, Diamond, and Redstone all need Iron Pickaxes or better. You can break the block with a stone one, but you won't get any usable material from it.
---
Everyone says they're in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but put it in the body of a Great White Shark and suddenly, "Oooooo - you've gone too far!"
#3TravelingJack(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2010 8:38:10 PM

From: BinkyThePirate | Posted: 10/1/2010 9:31:32 PM | #002
Yes. Gold, Diamond, and Redstone all need Iron Pickaxes or better. You can break the block with a stone one, but you won't get any usable material from it.

Thank you so much.
---
From annaesthetic <3:
http://i54.tinypic.com/5lpf2c.jpg
#4elheberPosted 10/1/2010 8:45:40 PM
Once you get good at mining, you'll have iron to spare, so don't feel so shy about it. If you insist to only use your iron pickaxe for diamond/gold/redstone, then I suggest not mining redstone at all... if you're shy about iron, you're probably not ready to need copious amounts of redstone anyway.

If you're looking for mining more iron, make a branching mine just above lava-level. A offset multi-level branching mine will get you tons of iron and open you up for diamond. A cross-section of it would look like this:

OXXXXXOXXXXXOXXXXX...
OXXXXXOXXXXXOXXXXX...
XXXOXXXXXOXXXXXOXX...
XXXOXXXXXOXXXXXOXX...
OXXXXXOXXXXXOXXXXX...
OXXXXXOXXXXXOXXXXX...
(where "O" are long tunnels through rock "X")

You'll be swimming in iron.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#5JJH777Posted 10/1/2010 9:11:59 PM
I suggest using a diamond pickaxe for everything besides iron and coal which you use stone for. IMO 1 diamond pickaxe is worth less than the 8 or so iron picks you'll need to get the same amount of use. This is because even though diamond is easily 8x rarer than iron, iron has so many more uses. Diamonds only use is weapons and tools. Iron can be used for way more items.
---
My Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/JJH777
#6elheberPosted 10/1/2010 9:22:33 PM
I use a diamond pickaxe for everything. Diamond ore isn't so rare that you run out before finding more.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.