Trying to set up a Minecraft server for me and some friends.

#1LMDSPosted 10/11/2010 8:43:07 AM
I keep failing and it says Connection timed out.

Any help? D:
---
hurderp
#2IronSasquatchPosted 10/11/2010 9:43:25 AM
I had trouble with this too.

1. Go to your cmd window, type in ipconfig, and you'll see 3 IP addresses.
2. Type the third IP address into your browser. It will prompt you for a username and password. Chances are they are 'admin' for the user and 'password' for the password. If not you can look up the default ones for your router online.
3. Once logged in, find the 'port forwarding' section, and click add service. Add the port that you want your server to be on to your IP address. Should look like this: http://img441.imageshack.us/i/portforwarding.jpg/
25565 is the default port minecraft uses, so I'd just leave that as it is.
4. Once you've done this, go to your firewall and make this port an exception. You'll have to click add port under the exceptions tab.
5.Start up the Minecraft_server.exe. It should create some files and folders in the same folder that it is in. Once you start it the first time, go to the file server.properties and open it with wordpad. Where it says server-ip, put in your IP address.
6. Give your IP address to your friends so they can connect. You have to have the Minecraft_sever.exe program running in order to connect to the server, so leave it open while you play.

If you have any other questions or need clarification, just ask.
---
" Minecraft has its own genre. Like....HOLY **** SKELETONS OH NO CREEPER sort of genre."
-Black_Fatalis
#3DNShepardPosted 10/11/2010 9:47:07 AM
I've been trying to do exactly above but, when I set the IP of the server and try to start it, I get...

**** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
[WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

? :(
---
Semper fudge.
#4IronSasquatchPosted 10/11/2010 10:06:47 AM
Looks like you haven't forwarded the port. Did you follow the steps above?
---
" Minecraft has its own genre. Like....HOLY **** SKELETONS OH NO CREEPER sort of genre."
-Black_Fatalis
#5LMDS(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2010 10:13:47 AM

Looks like you haven't forwarded the port. Did you follow the steps above?

I /think/ I've forwarded the ports.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8846/speedtouchminecraft1286.png
---
hurderp
#6IronSasquatchPosted 10/11/2010 10:16:25 AM
Try changing it to TCP/UDP.
---
-Black_Fatalis
#7LMDS(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2010 10:17:38 AM

Try changing it to TCP/UDP.

It's TCP or UDP, not both :l
---
hurderp
#8IronSasquatchPosted 10/11/2010 10:20:02 AM
Hmmm...that's weird. On mine, it has an option for both.

Your server.properties file matches the IP address right? And you allowed that port in your firewall?
---
-Black_Fatalis
#9LMDS(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2010 10:23:26 AM

Hmmm...that's weird. On mine, it has an option for both.

Your server.properties file matches the IP address right? And you allowed that port in your firewall?

#Minecraft server properties
#Mon Oct 11 18:59:34 CEST 2010
online-mode=true
monsters=false
server-ip= MY IP from IPConfig3?
server-port=25565
max-players=20
level-name=world

That's correct, right? D:
---
hurderp
#10IronSasquatchPosted 10/11/2010 10:38:27 AM
Looks right to me.
---
-Black_Fatalis