The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

So can anyone confirm or deny that Ghasts can come out of portals?

#1eco masterPosted 10/31/2010 8:43:37 PM
I know it's been rumored, and I think it's in the Minecraft Facts thread on the official forums, but to be honest, I just don't see it happening. I did some searches on YouTube, and haven't found the "OMG GHAST OUTSIDE SUBSCRIBE SUBSCRIBE" video I thought I'd find.

Of course, if Ghasts actually do escape from portals, I'm aware it'd be a very rare occurrence, but is there any proof that this can or cannot happen right now?
---
http://www.909090909.net/
also did i just do a flip and landed on my head-NathanCopeland
#2CaptainNickelPosted 10/31/2010 8:47:20 PM
no chance. the ghasts are 4X4X4, while the portal is only 3X2X1, they wont fit. for zombie pigmen im not sure... but if they could they would burst in flames. and those fireworks are real annoying now...
---
(b' v ')d <YESZ!!!)
#3eco master(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2010 8:49:46 PM
Well obviously they wouldn't physically through the portal, but I ask because many people talked about making their portal chambers very small, as to not encourage Ghasts to spawn in the room itself.
---
http://www.909090909.net/
also did i just do a flip and landed on my head-NathanCopeland
#4D347hN1nJ4Posted 10/31/2010 8:51:46 PM
When I ended up building a portal RIGHT next to where I spawned, I went to hell, built another portal about 30 meters away from my first one, and turned around to see a ghast floating towards me as I was about to load, needless to say I kept shouting "LOADLOADLOADLOADLOADLOADLOAD".

Anyway, I spawned, and had a ghast right behind me as I appeared, but it despawned before I could snapshot it.

I guess it's possible, but I think I ended up bugging it somehow by having it less than a block or two away from me, but it might have spawned...

in short, no, there's no confirmation.

but I would personally say they don't spawn, but there's probably something you could abuse to get them into a more... applicable fighting space.
#5IronSasquatchPosted 10/31/2010 8:52:01 PM
Yeah, they say that because, who wants to come out of your Nether Portal to be lit on fire by a ghast?
---
" Minecraft has its own genre. Like....HOLY **** SKELETONS OH NO CREEPER sort of genre."
-Black_Fatalis
#6pinkshredderPosted 10/31/2010 9:03:10 PM
Well, from what I read, mossy cobblestone stops their fireballs which im sure you could use to an advantage.
---
PSN : metalgod88
XBL: metalgod88
#7pruvmerongPosted 10/31/2010 9:06:16 PM

Well, from what I read, mossy cobblestone stops their fireballs which im sure you could use to an advantage.

Regular cobblestone stops them too. Pretty much all stone blocks work. Glass works too, supposedly. Just don't try to build with wood.

---
www.bleakcosmos.co.cc
GIGABYTE P55M-UD2 | Intel i5 750 | G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600 | XFX HD 5770 | CM Storm Scout | WD Caviar Black | OCZ FATAL1TY 550W
#8AlkVelronPosted 10/31/2010 9:17:30 PM
They definitely can. But they need a 5x5x5 area to spawn in.

---
XBL/PSN/STEAM/XFIRE/ Account Name - NEREVAR117
Not changing this signature until the second coming of Boxxy. (8/27/2010)
#9NecDW4Posted 10/31/2010 9:44:08 PM
Yeah, it isnt so much that they are coming through the portal, but have a chance to spawn near an existing one in the "real" world. From what i hear though its about as small a chance as slimes or skeletons riding on spiders. So far i have yet to see any of those.
#10CompilerCoyotePosted 10/31/2010 9:59:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyRY_yeOvI4

That said, from what I understand, it sounds like it may be a multiplayer glitch. Multiplayer server hosts can enable the Nether by changing a setting, but it's buggy as hell (*ba-dum tish*). CraftHub, which is where I found that video, seems to be indicating that this is a glitch, not intended behavior.
---
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.