How do I reduce server lag?

#1Coopman1010Posted 12/13/2010 3:57:37 PM
I'm new to owning a server, but when three people or more are logged into my server, it just gets way too laggy and almost unplayable. I have enough RAM (4GB) that this shouldn't be happening, but some advice would be nice as to how I can go about fixing/reducing this because I just wanna play multiplayer with my friends without this annoying lag. >_>
---
I wonder what's for DINNER?
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Coopster1030
#2ashphoenix77Posted 12/13/2010 3:59:08 PM
yah i gave up trying to host also. I think it has to do with people who go far to explore..if YOU the hoster doesnt explore the area far enough it causes severe lag. remeber things arent made until you explore them..so when a person not the server gos far enough...lagola
---
Xbox 360 :Avendosorra
34: Icon-- Account Created Monday, April 4, 2005 6:24 PM
#3MysticB121Posted 12/13/2010 4:18:52 PM
There are commands you can put into the java console to make the server perform better. Such as more ram...garbage cleanup or various other tricks.

It also may have to do with how much bandwidth the hoster has.
---
-MysticB
#4TedehsPosted 12/13/2010 4:19:38 PM
More internets.
---
:3
GT: Bot08
#5Coopman1010(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2010 4:30:23 PM
There are commands you can put into the java console to make the server perform better. Such as more ram...garbage cleanup or various other tricks.

Do you know any of these commands?
---
#6MysticB121Posted 12/13/2010 5:10:26 PM
I googled it real quick and pulled up the post. Minecraft Forums are down at the moment that i am typing this message though so you will have to wait a little bit.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=68128

Its a little tricky to figure out what to do since they don't really explain it in detail. But basically you need run.bat filled with the java commands and drag and drop the "minecraft_server.exe" or "minecraft_server.jar" into the .bat.

If you do not know where to find the .bat you can probably find it via google. I just looked realy quick and found a few posts on minecraft forums but i can't access them to see if they hold what you need.

Here is what my run.bat looks like

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -jar minecraft_server.jar

---
-MysticB
#7Coopman1010(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2010 5:31:37 PM
Oh yeah, I know how the .bat works. Thanks for your code, and I'll definitely be looking into those commands once the forums are up, if they aren't already up now.
---
#8MysticB121Posted 12/13/2010 5:43:17 PM
I have also heard good things about MCAdmin via a few of these lag problem posts.

From the direct post i first saw it on:

"http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 12&t=24629

Download this program and run it in place of the normal minecraft server. What it does is it handles all of the clients connectivity and takes all data being sent to and from the client from the server and parses it separately. This actually makes the server run better in some cases. In my case, it actually fixed the timeout issue on the server's network card.

It's easy to use, the instructions on his thread should be sufficient.

*just an added bonus... this server wrapper actually will keep your minecraft server up to date too. It will download any updates for itself and for notch's server when they become available so you don't have to worry about it. there are some other cool features too you can see for yourself.*"

---
-MysticB
#9Coopman1010(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2010 6:05:16 PM
Can you repost the link? The "..." broke the URL.

Also, by downloading the program, I won't lose my current server world, correct? Because I've come rather far along in my current server world and wouldn't want to lose it or anything.
---
#10MysticB121Posted 12/13/2010 6:08:45 PM
Ah, my bad.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=24629

I just downloaded it myself to test it and i don't have anyone around i know to log on to test it so i can't say it works. But all you have to do is run it and replace the "world" folder it makes with your world. Just change the name of the folder you have your world in to "world" and over write.

makes names all spiffy and gives you ranks too.
---
-MysticB