Using the Nether to connect two areas

#1Dr MonoxidePosted 12/28/2010 9:13:20 PM
Is it possible to set up two portals in the "real" world that use walking in the Nether as a fast travel route? I created one by the ocean and another on top of a mountain range but both wind up in the same portal in the Nether. I tried to set up another portal in the Nether with the hopes that it would connect to the portal on the mountain but it connects to the ocean, which the other portal in the Nether does too.
---
SMU Mustangs. There is life after death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQGl3vQvfI
#2Cloud20390Posted 12/28/2010 10:24:39 PM
It's possible, but it's hard to have control over it (especially for longer distances). The easiest way is to make a portal on earth, and then, once in the Nether, travel in the general corresponding direction you want your second Earth portal to be. Whenever you're ready, make a portal in the Nether that leads back to Earth and step through; it will create the second portal on Earth fairly far away, and all portals will be correctly linked with each other.

As you can guess, though, when the second portal on Earth is created it will likely be nowhere near where you actually wanted it.
---
"And as I live, there is no evil that will stand."
PSN: Omnifarious (http://profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/profiles/Omnifarious)
#3reno385Posted 12/28/2010 10:28:27 PM
It's possible but if you have the two portals on the overworld too close they'll just connect to the same Nether portal. I've heard that if you manually build a portal in the Nether at approximately the point corresponding to your other overworld portal it will connect to that one.

The rate of overworld travel to nether travel is 8:1 in block distance so figure out the x and y distances between your portals in the overworld to figure out where to build the second one in the nether and divide by 8 (i'm not sure if height factors in but I suppose try to get it as close as possible).

Alternatively you could time how long it takes you to get from one portal to the other and then divide the time by 8 so you don't have to count every single block in between.
---
Je suis tombé et je ne peux pas me lever!
Official Moogle in Command of the Final Fantasy Agito XIII Board
#4Aussie_BBQPosted 12/28/2010 10:31:09 PM
I counted how many blocks were in between where I wanted my portal in relation to my other portal, divided the distance by 8, and set up the new portal in the nether. My portal was close so I adjusted it by moving my nether portal slightly.

If your portal is facing the wrong way reconstruct it in the general area and It should link back up to the correct portal.

I'm not sure if what I just posted makes sense but that is how I did it.
---
This Sig is changed on a daily basis.
#5The CynicPosted 12/29/2010 2:29:17 AM
Portals are tricky and usually require some manual tweaking to work as a proper two-way one-to-one transportation system, but it can be done.

First off, both worlds have similar coordinate systems, and a 0,0,0 point of origin for their coordinate systems. Horizontal distances (the X axis and Z axis) in the Nether are compressed to 1/8th the distance in the real world. Distance on the Y axis (vertical) doesn't matter when using portals, but it comes into play when the game tries to spawn new ones.

An example: If you enter a portal at X:138, Y:68, Z:-49, the game will look for a portal in the Nether at X:17 and Z:-6, and if it doesn't find one there, or nearby, it will try to make one at the first suitable point it finds searching downward from Y:128. This could put you in a cave near bedrock, on a cliff or overhang somewhere in the middle, or near the lava seas that tend to form about 2/3rds of the way down.

There are three main issues with portal generation that lead to problems requiring you to place them yourself:

1) About 60% of the Nether is unsuitable to put a portal on (lava sea, open air, inside rocks). This frequently results in portals in the Nether being generated some distance away from the proper location, so when you go back to the normal world, it creates a third portal some distance away from the original.

2) When going to the Nether, the game will search a good 10-20 blocks away from the corresponding point in the Nether for an existing portal before it gives up and generates a new one. If you have two portals in the normal world within about 120 blocks of each other, they'll end up both going to the same Nether portal unless you build another one yourself.

3) When returning to the real world, if there's no corresponding portal in the X*8, Z*8 column, it will put a return portal in the first suitable spot it finds searching upwards from Y:0, meaning you could potentially find yourself in a cave or even a dungeon.

In order to get portals to precisely link up, you usually have to place the portals in the Nether yourself. Debugging portals that don't work as expected is a simple enough process:

1) In the real world, find the X and Z coordinates of your portal by pressing and holding F3.

2) Go to the Nether, and look at the coordinates of the portal you arrive in. If its X and Z coordinates are one-eighth of its real world counterpart, then it's correctly located. If not, then something got in the way.

3) If the portal isn't in the correct spot, then you have to make a portal yourself in the correct location--there will almost certainly be an obstruction or hazard.

If there's lava falls, you'll have to divert the flow. If it's in the middle of a sea of lava, you'll have to build an island at least 4 blocks above the lava. If it's in a solid mass of rock, you'll have to dig a tunnel to the right spot. If it's out in the middle of open air, you'll have to build a walkway.

To get your portal network running perfectly, you'll have to test every real-world/netherworld portal pair, make sure the portal in the Nether has one-eighth the X and Z coordinate values, and relocate it if needed.

If you want to have more than one linked pair of portals, you'll have to make a minimum separation of 16 squares in the real world and 2 in the Nether--you can't have two portals touching each other; the first one will go out when the second one is activated.