Can mobs damage your house?

#1TheOffspringFanPosted 12/29/2010 3:37:09 AM
im on the peaceful setting right now so that i can build my massive mountain-top lodge, which is constructed primarily of wood, glass and sand... its looking awesome but as im nearing completion and im preparing to switch difficulty back to normal, i have a few questions

i heard creepers can damage your house but how? as long as there is 1 block between you they will not explode right? even glass?

so unless you carelessy run outside without checking first i dont see the issue there, and my house will be well lit enough that they cant spawn inside it

what about zombies and skeletons, if they are touching my house when they are on fire in the mornings, can that set my house on fire?

---
PSN ID: Valkyr83
Currently Playing: Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Uncharted
#2BlizzardFenrirPosted 12/29/2010 3:47:19 AM
im on the peaceful setting right now so that i can build my massive mountain-top lodge,...

Not as fun. I usually make the bare foundations out of dirt on peaceful, then immediately switch to normal.

i heard creepers can damage your house but how? as long as there is 1 block between you they will not explode right? even glass?

Minecraftwiki says creepers can see you through 1 thick walls, but I've never had trouble with that.

so unless you carelessy run outside without checking first i dont see the issue there, and my house will be well lit enough that they cant spawn inside it

I always look out of the window to check my lawn, then run out backwards to check my roof.

what about zombies and skeletons, if they are touching my house when they are on fire in the mornings, can that set my house on fire?

They can't 'attack' your base. The fire is just a visual effect, not actual fire.
---
Everything is better with a tilde. ~
#3cody4783Posted 12/29/2010 3:53:00 AM
As long as there is *something* between you and the enemies, you'll be fine.

A large portion of my external walls are constructed out of Glass, and I've never had a problem with enemies destroying anything. Creepers and other enemies can SEE you through glass, but they won't be able to attack, and Creepers won't detonate; None of the other enemy attacks will damage your house.

The only thing I *don't* have extensive testing on is if Skeletons can shoot you through your door's windows (I learned I can shoot out the other day); But that doesn't have any effect on structural damage.

And yeah, all my important doors have glass somewhere nearby so I can easily peek outside to check for enemies. No running out blind for me.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#4TheOffspringFan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2010 4:15:25 AM
so when you see people say "a creeper destroyed my base" its because they were on the outside and got caught then?

thanks for the info guys!

gonna back up my save before i put my fireplace in (mostly wood house) and then again before switching to normal just in case!

---
PSN ID: Valkyr83
Currently Playing: Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Uncharted
#5Star_RayFangPosted 12/29/2010 6:03:41 AM
skeletons can shoot you throu wodden doors.

got kille once on my house cause of that
#6xxPyro99Posted 12/29/2010 6:23:38 AM
They can only shoot through your door is it's placed the wrong way.
#7ElementalWindPosted 12/29/2010 7:27:52 AM
Minecraftwiki says creepers can see you through 1 thick walls, but I've never had trouble with that.
Yeah, I've never seen a creeper trigger through a wall. What I have seen is a creeper coming up next to a 2-high wall, hopping and then seeing me and going off.

---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/toc.htm
#8Cl3v3r1nd33dPosted 12/29/2010 9:21:03 AM
Mobs CAN see you through 1 thick walls, they just can't attack. They will follow you around from outside, and gather up at the walls/windows/doors because they can see you through that one block. You're safe, though, until you open that door =P (IF you place the door correctly >_>)
---
...it is a Pedophilic inanimate object with proclaimed King like status who has intercourse with his daughter. -Classified7 on Hatcheries
#9Cl3v3r1nd33dPosted 12/29/2010 9:23:13 AM
Oh! Quick thing to remember for when you switch to normal:

If you're standing in the doorway (In the one block wide empty space right before your door) and you see a mob out the window part of the door, you can attack them. You can shoot arrows through it, or attack them with a sword or whatever. (And if you place it the other way, they can attack you through it lol)
---
...it is a Pedophilic inanimate object with proclaimed King like status who has intercourse with his daughter. -Classified7 on Hatcheries
#10arahman56Posted 12/29/2010 12:20:00 PM

From: Cl3v3r1nd33d | Posted: 12/29/2010 12:23:13 PM | #009
If you're standing in the doorway (In the one block wide empty space right before your door) and you see a mob out the window part of the door, you can attack them. You can shoot arrows through it, or attack them with a sword or whatever. (And if you place it the other way, they can attack you through it lol)

Protip: Place your standing outside.
---
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2395/2010.png
Most anticipated of 2010