I don't play DnD but minecraft would make a great DnD game

#1VoronePosted 1/18/2011 6:58:11 PM
I played Dungeons and Dragons once and if you could make/find a dice generator, minecraft would be PERFECT for DnD. Of course you would have to use your imagination, rely on the dungeon master to create hostile monsters but still.

I'm sure someone with good modding skills (mine aren't up to snuff) could make an awesome DnD mod.
---
\\ .// //\\ |[]| //\\ ||\\ || |[ A NEW LEVEL OF
.\\//. \\// ||\\ \\// || \\|| |[ CONFIDENCE AND POWER!
#21Mr_MogPosted 1/18/2011 7:01:54 PM
That... that actually isn't a bad idea... O.o

I think I'm going to invest.
---
Hi, it's me, levibevi2
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. -rave_n2
#3Dem_IrbisPosted 1/18/2011 7:02:01 PM
Would take a lot of work(don't know much aboot modding but I know much aboot DnD and it sounds like it would take A LOT of work) but it would be awesome if it was done.
#4Aribar_HunterPosted 1/18/2011 7:21:04 PM
Unfortunately a few days ago Notch tweeted that he didn't want to add any sort of DMing tools for fear of Wizards of the Coast, however I definitely think that modders would be able to make something good. Inventory management, turn the DM invisible, monster spawning tools... It'd be pretty neat.
---
"Yosuke has obtained the facade used to overcome life's hardships, the Persona Disco Ninja Frog!"
#5aLINKinthechainPosted 1/18/2011 7:54:09 PM
as every single attempt at making DnD a video game has failed miserably, it might not be a good idea: there are simply too many variables in a DnD campaign to translate well into VG form (most things are left up to your dm, the manual can only dictate so much...think US constitution). not only would this take a very skilled modder to create, your DM would need the same skills to update and keep your campaign moving.
---
I said said i would not change my sig.......but they got rid of Toonami and i want Cartoon network to PAY!!!!!!!! GT: thatKevinkid
#6MadEvilPosted 1/18/2011 8:15:43 PM
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/
is a random number generator

There are sites out there that will hold character sheets.
If you do it, record it, people will watch it.
---
I host a gaming podcast. Check it out. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gamers-riot/id291644270
We don't give a damn about hype.
#7VileaerokPosted 1/18/2011 9:04:10 PM
Sounds prettty awesome.
#8BahamutZero92Posted 1/18/2011 9:07:34 PM
@aLINKinthechain:

You haven't played Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, or any of the other Bioware DnD-based RPG's have you?
---
B/W Nuzlocke: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/57763606
"Are Vintage Brainsluts valuable? - The_Tripwire, on TF2 hats.
#9finalfant07Posted 1/18/2011 9:12:17 PM
This would be really awesome, I would most definitely join in on that. It would be cool if we could make dice blocks, dunno how hard it would be to actually create but I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to create various limited random number generators.

@aLINKinthechain:

You haven't played Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, or any of the other Bioware DnD-based RPG's have you?

Thank you, I was about to type those same games.
---
I'm not a FF7 Fanboy, I just used to be.
Also known as AJMcSpiffy (Current Handle)
#10Vorone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2011 3:24:55 PM
It would take some crazy good modding skills to create the character sheets and monsters, how they behave, take damage, attack etc etc. I'm sure someone with enough time and good enough at modding could do it.

In the meantime though, you could use minecraft and your character like you would on the table top and move your character along the 3x3 grid according to the rolls. Minecrafts 3x3 grid and the fact that you can create any environment at your leisure would make it the PERFECT playing board for DnD. A DM could literally set a visible scene in a matter of minutes.

Of course you are going to be fighting invisible monsters created by the DM but that's what DnD is all about anyway. All you would need is a dice generator in game so you could see everyones rolls and some sort of teamspeak so the DM could organize the adventure.
---
\\ .// //\\ |[]| //\\ ||\\ || |[ A NEW LEVEL OF
.\\//. \\// ||\\ \\// || \\|| |[ CONFIDENCE AND POWER!