The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Why can't my laptop run this game....??

#1NordiniPosted 1/30/2011 1:35:33 PM
I use a brand new Alienware M17x R3. I just got done playing Starcraft 2 on all Ultra Settings with 100+ FPS. However i can't even begin to play minecraft... It's so laggy i can barely move.

Wth?
#2saberfool86Posted 1/30/2011 1:53:29 PM
Alienware... lol
---
http://www.last.fm/user/The_Saberfool
GHOULS! ATTACK THE CHURCH! CRUSH! THE HOLY PRIEST!
#3Cl3v3r1nd33dPosted 1/30/2011 2:02:02 PM(edited)
Alienware... lol

Some people just wanna go buy something that works without having to think =P

Edit: Oh, on topic...

Well who knows... it could be so many things where do you even start? lol.

Is it set to a power saving mode? Maybe SC2 automatically sets it that way for you but MC doesn't? Do you have something else hogging resources? Do you have the latest version of Java installed? Do you have your latest video card drivers? (Just because the laptop is new doesn't mean the drivers are up to date, it could have been sitting in a box for months)
---
"I can assure you that the cake is not a lie, but thank you for saying so. ALL TEN THOUSAND OF YOU." -Notch
#4Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2011 4:31:54 PM
That's just it. Even if it was on power saving mode, running off integrated graphics, or wahtever i should still be able to run this game on max settings perfectly...

this laptop uses a 2nd generation Intel i7 extreme processor and a GTX 460m....i just can't figure out what it is...

Also my drivers are up to date,
#5eco masterPosted 1/30/2011 4:35:11 PM(edited)

Some people just wanna go buy something that works without having to think =P

Sure is doing a good job on that, isn't it?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/

Go there and find your laptop, and get your drivers up to date. After that, go here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

That will get you up to date on Java.

And honestly, the processor on that thing isn't very remarkable, so I'm surprised to hear you managed to pull off those Starcraft II settings so well. That, or I've missed some great improvements in quad-core processing.

**EDIT**

That's just it. Even if it was on power saving mode, running off integrated graphics, or wahtever i should still be able to run this game on max settings perfectly...

Uh, can I ask why you'd figure that? Power saving modes reduce your computer's performance drastically in order to save energy.
---
http://to2is.literallyforbabies.com/to2/boards
also did i just do a flip and landed on my head-NathanCopeland
#6Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2011 4:56:40 PM
Because i asked on the alienware forums and they said even in integrated graphics mode it should run minecraft on maximum settings perfectly....

what kind of processor do you have on your laptop? Because as far as mobile processors go, i was under the impression that "Intel® Core™ i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache) " is pretty top of the line...... especially seeing as this generation of processors just came out less than a month ago.
#7eco masterPosted 1/30/2011 5:07:50 PM
Aye, I completely forgot about the i7 Turbo Mode. I thought something was off when I saw the mobile 460 on that, and a 2.3 GHz processor paired with it. My apologies.

I assume you've since tried switching off of integrated graphics? If that's not doing it, and you've updated your Java installation, I'd report this issue to the official Minecraft forums, and see if you can't get a response there.

Again, I apologize. I made several mis-informed statements :)
---
http://to2is.literallyforbabies.com/to2/boards
also did i just do a flip and landed on my head-NathanCopeland
#8I_Am_On_FirePosted 1/30/2011 5:12:45 PM
I don't see how the GPU would affect this game much- it's much more CPU bound.

Some guy who was here with a Lenovo 'gaming' laptop ran it with some i5 (didn't say specifically) and an Intel GMA just fine.
---
HP Pavilion dv6-2182nr 15.6-inch | 6 GB DDR2 800 | 500 GB HDD | Windows 7 64 Bit | ATi Radeon HD 4650 1 GB | AMD Turion II Ultra M620 @ 2.5 GHz
#9CubonedPosted 1/30/2011 5:14:03 PM
"I use a brand new Dell M17x R3. I just got done playing Starcraft 2 on all Ultra Settings with 100+ FPS. However i can't even begin to play minecraft... It's so laggy i can barely move. "

Fix'd
#10aiRWaLKRePosted 1/30/2011 5:46:47 PM
I was waiting to see what was in going to be in the m17x r3 last year when I knew the sandy bridge would be in it. And was so let down that they took the sli/crossfire out. I so wanted to spend a little extra of my inheritance money on a alienware laptop ( got a laptop from cyperpowerpc with about the same spec but older generation i7, and the stupid thing stopped working the next morning after I had it, got my money back on it no problem, but all in all it was about the same price being all maxed out and stuff with dual video cards but no 3d screen in it ). So now it looks like ill have to wait however long it takes them to put out the rumored m18x with the sli/crossfire in it. Plus I was hoping befor the r3 came out that they would implement 3d into it. Cause I would like to play some 3d gaming and watch a movie here and there.