The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Playing over a network, cannot connect to server

#1Tye HackersPosted 2/28/2011 9:05:28 AM
I know this problem can be caused by a multitude of things, but was curious if anyone has a simple solution before I started hardcore trouble shooting.

I try to connect one PC to another over a network for SMP (using local IP), and can't. I've tried running the server on either comp, but when the other PC tries to connect it just hangs on "Connecting to server" for about about 20 seconds, then I get "Connection timed out: connect". I have all the correct ports open.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, or know how to go about this? Any help appreciated.
---
I told you I was hardcore.
#2quietguy1350Posted 2/28/2011 9:27:13 AM
You must remember to include the port the server is running on in the IP address. For example, lets say your Lan IP is 192.168.1.100, and the port you use 25565, to join the server you would type 192.168.1.100:25565

I don't think you'd need to open the port for playing on a network, but doesn't hurt ;)
---
I would change the world, if God gave me the source code.
#3Tye Hackers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2011 10:38:38 AM
I didn't know that, but even trying that I have no success. Not to sound redundant or like a noob, I am typing in my other comp's IP address like so: 192.168.1.4:22565

I really am at a loss for why it's not working. I'm fairly tech savvy myself, and I don't want to start working on my network and things if the problem is caused by something I don't know about Minecraft.
---
#4Chuck_BosworthPosted 2/28/2011 11:49:06 AM
Minecraft on Lan doesn't actually work at the moment. I mean, it does, and it doesn't.

In order to connect to a normal online server, the server verifies the names of any who join with Minecraft.net. When connecting to a Lan server, it cannot do this. To fix this issue, you have to go into the server options and turn off online mode. This "fix" then creates another issue. When you connect to an offline server, it gives you the default name of "player." Also, not more than one person can have the same name in a single server. So when you're offline, and multiple people connect to a server, they're all given the same default name and only the last person to log in actually gets in, as they boot anyone in before them.

To fix this problem, you need to download a memory editing program and change the name Minecraft gives to the player. This then creates ANOTHER problem as it doesn't really allow for player's inventories to be saved. So once you do this, in order to make sure you don't have items disappearing, just put everything in chests before disconnecting from the server.

Disclaimer: This is what I had to do to get my Lan server running from my laptop to my fiance's laptop and can't tell you if this is the best way to do it, the only way to do it, or anything else.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's considered piracy to do this unless you both have purchased Minecraft accounts. So in the end, is it worth it to run a Lan server? It is if it's your only option (as it is with me atm because of my college's firewall), if you can run an online server, do it.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#5quietguy1350Posted 2/28/2011 11:49:22 AM
Hmmm.. 22565 or 25565? Well, either way, just make sure the IP address is 100% how it should be, because I don't see any reason why it shouldn't connect. Also, question, does the server connection log say anything about it when you try to connect? It would be good to know if the connection made it through at all.

As always, make sure the server files are up to date as well. There was a recent patch to 1.3, if you don't have that already.
---
#6quietguy1350Posted 2/28/2011 11:51:40 AM
@Chuck_Bosworth

Uh.... no... just no. I connect to my minecraft server through my network all the time. It's no different, just connecting locally, vs. remotely. You'd still have to sign in to the game with your username (to avoid getting the default player) but I have no idea what you're talking about for the rest.
---
#7Tye Hackers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2011 12:15:54 PM
I just triple checked, and I made a typo. Am actually using port 25565 and have it opened.

I'm trying to play with my girlfriend and we both have legitimate accounts.

quietguy1350, mind giving a run down of your network/server setup? I myself just have the server running on either comp, with no real modification to the server.properties. Gave us both admin, and have tried running it in offline/insecure mode. I can't connect either computer to the other.

I am baffled at my situation. I guess this is why Minecraft is still in beta.
---
#8Chuck_BosworthPosted 2/28/2011 12:17:34 PM
Like I said, my college blocks all internet access for just about every game possible and that's what I had to do to get it running. This is why I put the disclaimer.

Also, how many people do you have playing on that network at once? And you should note that I cannot sign in and am forced to play in offline mode. Perhaps that's why I had to do it this way, I don't know.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#9quietguy1350Posted 2/28/2011 12:43:57 PM(edited)
@Tye Hackers

Sure, I can do that.

My server.properties :
level-name=world
hellworld=false
spawn-monsters=true
online-mode=true
spawn-animals=true
max-players=8
server-ip=192.168.1.100 <-- My LAN IP (used regardless if it's an online/offline server)
pvp=false
server-port=25569 <-- Port I'm using
white-list=false

I use 192.168.1.100:25569 to connect to my server, while remote users use WANIP:25569

As for my network, there's not a whole lot to tell. I just have port 25569 opened to my computer's lan IP address. If you want to know a specific thing about my network/setup, let me know.
---