The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How do you increase the allocated memory for Minecraft?

#1awsome_bebePosted 2/28/2011 10:46:31 PM
I have 4gb ddr2 memory and Minecraft only uses +250mb i think
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of Chuck Norris]
#2thrashmetal59Posted 3/1/2011 12:18:30 AM
Actually I think it uses 512mb actually and idk how to change it. I was just thinking today that I would like to do this.
---
Slayer > KISS and Quiet Riot. People that agree 7http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2010/09/PC-Gamer-Minecraft-cover1.jpg
#3VheissuPosted 3/1/2011 12:32:02 AM(edited)
You can change the allocated memory in the Java section of your control panel to increase it

1. Start
2. Control Panel
3. Java icon
4. Java Tab
5. Click on view
6. Under parameters add "xmx512m" (without the quotes)
7. You can change the 512 to whatever you want the allocated memory to be

PROTIP: You can change the allocated memory in the source code if you wish, but this requires you to have an understanding of Java programming and a compiler and have the linux version on minecraft.

And to all the people saying you cant edit the source code, you're a mongoloid mouth breather and no one cares what you think.

EDIT:
Or just be pro an do it this way, works much better.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=53686&p=863749#p863749
#4cjnoonePosted 3/1/2011 1:21:11 AM

PROTIP: You can change the allocated memory in the source code if you wish, but this requires you to have an understanding of Java programming and a compiler and have the linux version on minecraft.

That's bull. You can do the programming on any OS, not just linux.

And the easiest way is the way he linked to. I recommend using at least 1024M in both places(one gig of memory).
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#5VheissuPosted 3/1/2011 12:59:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Justin MillerPosted 3/1/2011 1:26:46 PM
When I do it your "Simple" way, Vheissu, I type the "xmx1024m" into the paramaters section, and click ok... and when I come back into that area, the parameter section is empty again. Is that normal?
---
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Go on, give it a try!
#7MC_BatCommanderPosted 3/1/2011 1:52:56 PM

Yes yes you can do programming on any OS, but most people who use Windows or OSX are morons

lol Linux elitists.
---
Apostrophes do not mean "LOOK OUT! Here comes an S!"
#8GastroidPosted 3/1/2011 2:42:58 PM

From: Cyrus Maragrave | Posted: 3/1/2011 2:52:56 PM | #007
lol Linux elitists.

Is there any other kind?
---
Beserker II Mechroid
Horseman of the Apocalypse - Pestilence
#9TulkiPosted 3/1/2011 2:58:49 PM
Yes yes you can do programming on any OS, but most people who use Windows or OSX are morons

Uh oh, we've got a Linux gangster.

Reminds me of the professor I had who basically advertised Java and Linux like it was a religious calling. I can't count how many times I heard "There's a much richer world out there - richer than Windows would let you have." Went to his office hours one time and he had nothing but Sun Microsystems hardware.

Sorry to break it to you, but Microsoft and Apple aren't evil, and presenting safety options is not the same as restricting the user from anything.
---
Blue Wizard is about to die!
... Red Knight shot the food!
#10BeidhaPosted 3/1/2011 3:01:36 PM
Lol, linux. At least it's not as bad as a mac. Ugh.
---
Official Archemage of the Skyrim board