Minecraft for XBOX AND PS3!

#41SirNikonPosted 3/3/2011 11:58:34 AM
edt89 posted...

OK, so I've seen Minecraft for the PC and I think it's an amazing game. BUT I, quite frankly, believe that it should not only be made available for the PC, it should be made available for Xbox 360, as well as PS3. SERIOUSLY, make the product for XBOX 360 and PS3 Network, and you WILL make yourself known. PLEASE. XBOX AND PLAYSTATION NEED YOU. THANK YOU. goodbye.

lol.. you're either a troll or you might now know that the game is really good.. sells well.. and it's creators is well known. so i guess he already did everything and didn't have to bother trying to port the game on the consoles.. (which you have to face it.. they can't handle it, and this is not a joke. the amount of ram in the 360 and the ps3 is sub par [just look up the specs for the 2 consoles]) so there is no way that the 2 consoles could handle generating all that terrain. (a minecraft map can go up to 8 times the surface area of the earth) as for the "clone" that's going to the 360.. there is no info about crafting.. so you might say it's more like minecraft alpha. (no word on the map size either..but i might be wrong)
#42Paradox421Posted 3/3/2011 12:04:01 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/22/minecraft-clone-coming-to-xbox-live-indie-games-fortresscraft/
---
I think I know, I dont think I know,
I dont think think I know, I dont think I think
#43banished09Posted 3/3/2011 12:07:16 PM
IF they make it i'm 99% sure they will make it so that you also can use a USB-Keyboard (you can use it on some games)
---
That's why MW3 is going to create a war. It's going to be so good that it will consume 80% of our children and cause China to nuke it's self... -COLL1N
#44AkaimizuPosted 3/3/2011 12:35:01 PM(edited)
Consoles that can run Red Dead Redemption, Elder Scrolls, and Little Big Planet should pretty much be able to handle Minecraft. Particularly ES considering that it too, also saves the state of stuff in far off lands you've travelled before. You overestimate how much of minecraft has to be loaded in memory at once. It's why we have fog distance levels in Minecraft and a vanishing point that doesn't cover but a fragment of the Minecraft world. The rest can be loaded off of data stored on the disk. That's the beauty of procedural created worlds.

It was nearly a couple of decades ago when Dave Braben created Frontier. (which allowed you to go through a procedurally created galaxy of exploration, economies, combat, and such, all in the space of a 700K disk. Maybe a little over 1MB with texture-mapped graphics)

True, you can add a lot of your own content, but the real beauty here, is that the content consists of nothing but the existing objects already pre-loaded in the game. That makes things a bit easier to store. The real question is, what kind of view distance limit settings they would have.

I know the 360, at least, has full USB keyboard support in every game. In fact, if you can see something which you could type a name or word in, you can use the keyboard instead. It's part of the overall system operation. PS3 seems good on that too, especially if it otherwise pulls up a standard PS3 text-entry screen. How often would you use it? I only remember typing stuff when it came to placing signs.

Of course, I have it on the computer. Love it on the computer. Just doing friendly discussion on the possibilities and limitations of *what if* it were considered for consoles. Heck, they're already porting the darn thing to iPhone and iPad via recent official announcements. Though what changes it will get is unknown at this time. I'm sure at least the building and toybox aspects will be intact.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#45SirNikonPosted 3/4/2011 8:27:46 AM

akaimizu posted...
Consoles that can run Red Dead Redemption, Elder Scrolls, and Little Big Planet should pretty much be able to handle Minecraft. Particularly ES considering that it too, also saves the state of stuff in far off lands you've travelled before. You overestimate how much of minecraft has to be loaded in memory at once. It's why we have fog distance levels in Minecraft and a vanishing point that doesn't cover but a fragment of the Minecraft world. The rest can be loaded off of data stored on the disk. That's the beauty of procedural created worlds.

i'll only focus my reply on that portion of what you said.

and i wasn't talking about how well it can run games that are made for it and with a map that will be loaded from memory. as all the maps are generated. even on the pc it takes up a lot of it (and it was made for the pc so it's not a sloppy port) and hosting a multi player game needs around 1 gig of ram if not more. now consider doing that on the amount of ram present in the current generation consoles. (keep in mind that each cube is generated individually and it's not a premade thing like the map you have in red dead redemption or any of the scripted things) and if next you gonna say that "crysis 2 is coming to the consoles so they should be able to run anything" i won't take you seriously.

#46Ode1stPosted 3/4/2011 8:34:44 AM
Minecraft with a controller would be fine. It'd control like any other FPS, and for crafting, you just navigate the boxes as if they were a regular menu. Not the most efficient scheme, since controllers are rarely better than keyboard and mouse, but it'd be fine.
#47AkaimizuPosted 3/4/2011 8:57:04 AM
Nah. I wouldn't talk about Crysis 2. I'm not thinking simply on a limited set of tech demo reasons for how Minecraft could use its resources. So I took game examples with sprawling spooled-data with strong spool-speed demands due to the level of graphics and details being spooled, with games that have a good form of user-created stored content in them. I'm thinking more about how the memory is stored. I just don't see how this couldn't be done with some form of spooling. Still, like I said, they have folks working on iOS device versions, which have even lower active memory constraints, but like the consoles, have the means of a decent amount of data storage in storage ram. Notch's main only concern (from a usability aspect) was dealing with certain faster elements like dodging skeleton arrows. He had in mind taking some of that fast experience and making it more friendly for those playing it while riding moving vehicles like trains.

Multiplayer is one thing, though. However, there's so many logical ways to skin that cat without adding that much development time to do it. Knowing Minecraft, I'm not talking about GPU features and such. Minecraft isn't about that. However, in terms of how and where to store data across very large maps, there's a lot of things that can work here. Of course, how they work Minecraft servers into it is a whole different animal.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#48rriicckkyy02Posted 3/4/2011 9:07:35 AM
For who said consoles would miss out on updates:
PS3 and 360 get updates, patches and DLC all the time. Plus if the case were that it would go to consoles it wouldnt be until the actual release where there probably wont be as frequent updates to the contents of the game.

For who said the game wouldnt work with a controller:
I play minecraft with my ps3 controller on the computer and it works great..

For who said systems wouldnt handle the game:
Pretty sure if my little dell inspiron 531 with a single core processor, 1gb ram, and integrated graphics can handle it a PS3 would do just fine.

And for anyone who would like to play this as if it was on the console can just plug in there ps3/360 controller and hook their pc up to their tv and there you have it..
#49ElestrielPosted 3/4/2011 1:58:51 PM
You've given me a brilliant idea. I think I know what I'll be spending my lunch hours doing at work, for the next like, 3 months.

I'll get back to you if I don't give up miserably because I can't figure out how to run the game in the measly amount of RAM the Xbox 360 has.
---
"What is the mass of a feather?"
"One featherweight, obviously. So, all we can be sure of is that it's under 126 pounds."
#50galla553Posted 3/4/2011 2:13:59 PM
I also tried playing minecraft with a gamepad and found it possible but fiddly. The moving and breaking/placing blocks is fine. But inventory screens and other stuff I found to be quite awkward. To put it on console would need an overhaul of those sections of minecraft. It's no good doing a half-assed straight port.

The same with updates. They wouldn't be out the same time as PC updates, largely because as it stands now, Notch ends up putting in the final work on them on the day they release. then they usually get patched within a day or two. That can't happen on consoles so there would need to be two update schedules which is more work and ends up more complicated.

These are not impossibilities but they are things to be considered, and it's not as simple as it may first seem. But i think we can all aggree if the choice were between a half-assed console version or no console version at all, we'd rather see no console version. Mojang themselves probably don't want to release an inferior console minecraft either. So that means a fair amount will have to be changed and implemented in different ways to make the most of it before the idea can be seen as viable