What's the best level for an Iron mine?

#1RedVirus68Posted 3/16/2011 5:33:18 PM
Now I'm having problems getting iron for my minecart track. My first iron branch mine connected to too many caves so I had to move to my other base for the time being. My branch mine is at 13.6 when you use the f3 key. Although I have found coal, redstone, 5 diamonds, lapis, and gold I've only found like 21 iron or something. I have it so low so that I can collect every kind of ore but would I get more iron if I mined higher?
---
What part of love your enemies says to kill them?
MineCraft username: RedFollower68
#2RL_000Posted 3/16/2011 5:38:20 PM
on the higher levels i tend to find alot more iron and coal. worth a shot.
---
PSN: RL-000
#3RedVirus68(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2011 5:48:00 PM
ty ill try it
---
What part of love your enemies says to kill them?
MineCraft username: RedFollower68
#4tikitikiman777Posted 3/16/2011 6:52:45 PM
I think you probably would have better luck closer to the surface because you'll be finding the same amount of blocks, but it will just be iron and coal compared to lower levels where the blocks are split up between iron, coal, redstone, diamond, lapis lazuli, and gold. You also won't have to deal with lava and (in my experience at least) less of the massive cave systems.
---
E6750@3.2 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | XFX GTX285 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
#5Mr HangmanPosted 3/16/2011 7:40:46 PM
The above posters are wrong. Iron appears in equal frequency at all elevations below sea level. It's equally common at y=13.6 as it is at y=44.6 or anything else under 63. Digging at diamond depth will let you collect both at once.

But if you really are just looking for iron, it's much much much faster to explore caves than to dig mines. For diamonds this isn't so because diamonds are only down deep and only a small portion of the caves go deep enough. All of the caves however are deep enough for iron. You'll notice lots of exposed deposits as you explore. Be sure to follow the "torches on the right" rule or some similar convention so you don't get lost.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#6GastroidPosted 3/16/2011 7:45:06 PM
The best possible level to mine at in the game is level 12, since if you have a floor at level 12 and a ceiling at level 16, you effectively have a tunnel going through the bulk of the diamond layer, while still being above the lava layer, meaning no automatic death sentences (unless you walk into a pool of lava below you).
---
Echo Ciroid/c
Liquid Nitrogen-based Weaponry
#7Vuja_DePosted 3/17/2011 5:37:21 AM

The above posters are wrong. Iron appears in equal frequency at all elevations below sea level. It's equally common at y=13.6 as it is at y=44.6 or anything else under 63. Digging at diamond depth will let you collect both at once.

But if you really are just looking for iron, it's much much much faster to explore caves than to dig mines. For diamonds this isn't so because diamonds are only down deep and only a small portion of the caves go deep enough. All of the caves however are deep enough for iron. You'll notice lots of exposed deposits as you explore. Be sure to follow the "torches on the right" rule or some similar convention so you don't get lost.

Listen to this man people
---
Yeah, yeah, terms and conditions apply, this energy drink may cause anal discharge