Can I play Minecraft on a mac?

#11Dante200XPosted 4/12/2011 10:03:52 AM

I don't understand the hatred toward either OS, are they paying you to slander the other and defend theirs?

It's not exactly the OS (though some of it it) but for me personally, it's the fact they're more expensive (the parts) and they offer even less performance. It's kinda sad...

The fact that you can and HAVE to dual boot windows on a mac for some programs is kinda sad too.
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about Sam & Max on the TF2 board
#12KhronickanaPosted 4/12/2011 10:46:17 AM
*cough*Linux is better than all *cough*
---
PSN: WyzeGye (add it... Your mom did)
Not changing this sig till my child is born. 2 months to go!!!
#13cjnoonePosted 4/12/2011 10:58:49 AM

*cough*Linux is better than all *cough*

For general use, I would agree.

For gamers, I would disagree.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#14KhronickanaPosted 4/12/2011 11:00:41 AM
yeah, but if you ask me, consoles are for games, and computers are for "general use"
---
PSN: WyzeGye (add it... Your mom did)
Not changing this sig till my child is born. 2 months to go!!!
#15angrywalrus13Posted 4/12/2011 11:01:36 AM
Khronickana posted...
yeah, but if you ask me, consoles are for games, and computers are for "general use"

PCs have been used for games for a loooong time.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#16metalslug53Posted 4/12/2011 11:57:33 AM
Heh, bumsluck has his post deleted and now it makes me look like the ass. Convenient.

Doesn't matter though, my Mac is good enough, and only cost me a few hundred more then a PC of equivalent specs. I know, I did the math before I made the purchase. I know I could have spent a lot less on Newegg and built my machine myself, but A, I have money and can afford it, and B, I wouldn't have a system warranty. I knew that if something went wrong with one of those components I could just replace it myself, but then I'd be forced to use Windows. The extra cash goes towards backing the computer by AppleCare, which means I get to deal with some of the best technical support should anything go wrong with my comp. Also, I much prefer Leopard to anything by Microsoft, so it is just a standard that I have for my OS. Anyone who thinks system A is better then System B is a moron. They both do the same thing, they just look and operate differently.

To any of you who think I feel like an elitist because of my computer preference, I could care less what you think. My computer runs, it doesn't crash, it does what I need it to do. That's all I care about.
---
Death is the only great adventure man has left.
#17Dante200XPosted 4/12/2011 12:23:53 PM

They both do the same thing

But they don't....
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about Sam & Max on the TF2 board
#18metalslug53Posted 4/12/2011 12:26:02 PM
Technically you are correct, yes certain things won't run on Mac that does on windows, but if I need something that runs solely on windows that I cannot find a replacement for on my mac, then Ill cut my partition and run Boot Camp.
---
#19Miracle_PaintPosted 4/12/2011 1:15:56 PM
On topic - Yes, Minecraft has a launcher for OSX, so you can definitely play Minecraft on a Mac.

And about the mac vs pc debate, I have a few points:

1 - Operating systems aren't exclusive to certain brands. Both PCs and Macs can dual-boot both OSX and Windows 7 or whatever you like (Linux for example).

2 - Yes, Apple does have good service within their warranty, but realize the standard coverage is only 1-year and it costs an additional $349.00 to extend it another 2 years. Compare that to say, a Dell (1 year + $149.00 for additional 3 years) or ASUS (1~3 year standard on laptops, depending on the model, no extra cost.)

3 - The price for a Mac has about a $1,000 premium for the brand and design, as far as I can tell. Example:

Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011 model) - $2,550 (with promo co... oh yeah, Apple doesn't offer any promo codes).
Processor: Intel i7 quad-core (2720QM) 2.2GHz
Memory: 8GB
Display: Upgraded to HD Matte (1440x900)
Video: Radeon 6750M 1GB
Battery: up to 7 hours
Weight: 5.6 pounds
Keyboard: Back-lit Chic style.

Dell XPS 15 (l502x) - $1,450 (with nearly $500 off in promo codes and stuff)
Processor: Intel i7 quad-core (2720QM) 2.2GHz
Memory: 8GB
Display: HD (1920x1080)
Video: Nvidia GeForce 540M 2GB
Battery: up to 4~5 hours on 6-cell.
Weight: 5.9 pounds w/ 6-cell battery.
Keyboard: Back-lit Chic style.

So yeah, you tell me. Apple does have solid build quality and does look sleek, but is it worth the $1,000 premium? and some PC laptops have very sleek and light yet sturdy designs as well these days.

But in the end no matter what you get, you'll be able to run Minecraft.
---
Pokemon White: 4856 - 2487 - 7265
#20metalslug53Posted 4/12/2011 3:12:13 PM
Miracle Paint has valiantly shown the vast price difference in Macs vs other laptops. That's fine and dandy, but even a hardcore Apple fanboy such as myself knows that Apple overprices the laptops worse then anything else. I purchased a desktop with near top-of-the-line best offered specs you can get, and paid about half that price tag.

Even mac guys know that they are getting jipped when they buy a laptop from Apple. =D
---