Any news on Adventure Mode?

#1sampama226Posted 6/2/2011 1:28:55 PM
If you don't know already, Notch announced that in 1.7 he will be adding a New Game Mode called Adventure Mode. Here is the wiki link for it...
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Adventure

So it says in the wiki that it may be similar to a dungeons and dragons style RPG game so its will be more like a Story Mode for minecraft. However no ones sure what it will be like yet.

It could be many things such as...

1. Players could make there own adventure maps with evented spawning, weather, weapons and other things very similar to a program called Adventure Craft. And then players could play them in adventure mode, much like what people do now with adventure maps except you couldn't place blocks and the creation would be more advanced.

2. The world is randomly generated like survival mode however there are NPCs, elaborate dungeons, and generated buildings. Just like you typical RPG game mixed with the random rendering of minecraft.

3. It is a pre made regular story mode that Notch has made before hand and never changes but the gameplay is more intense than #2. Basically an RPG.

Or it could be something else. I'd like to see what everyone thinks it will be like, or tell me what they would want it to be like. You can either list one of my thoughts or tell me your own idea.
---
The Statement Below is True
The Statement Above is False
#2code_of_conductPosted 6/2/2011 1:40:12 PM
This might make single player actually worth while and not just for the initial first few days of getting started with Minecraft.
#3misterwugglesPosted 6/2/2011 2:00:05 PM
I mentioned it in another post but I'd like to see survival and adventure modes have the same type of synergy as SimCity 2000 and SimCopter. By that I mean essentially you can make a world in survival and play as you normally would in survival, but you can also load that same world up for adventure mode, and do your adventuring in the same world. Any changes made in adventure mode (like say a building you made in survival is chosen for a bank and you want to explode a hole in the wall and steal some coin) would then carry back over to survival mode, and so even though the two modes are separate with distinct types of gameplay they're still linked. If done right I think it'd be really neat.

Terraria already has a mixture of survival and adventure so I'd rather Minecraft stayed away from trying to make a mix in one mode. I think having two very focused and separate modes (survival focused on exploring and building and creativity, adventure focused on combat and adventuring and whatnot) that are still linked to form a single overall experience would be really neat. There would also be the possibility that if it was done properly you could join a multiplayer server in either adventure mode or survival mode.

Obviously I highly doubt anything like this is going to happen and I apologize for not being entirely on topic, but I just think it would be pretty dang neat.

Anyway, It's possible Notch will go into more detail during E3, but as far as I know his main focus is going to be the other Mojang games and the mobile Minecraft.
#4McFinneganPosted 6/2/2011 2:03:59 PM
I think option #2 would be the most appealing for me.
#5AROCK86Posted 6/2/2011 2:04:29 PM
Of the 3 you listed TC, I really don't see #2 happening. That seems way too ambitious.

I don't see #3 happening either. I just can't picture Minecraft with a pre-made story.

So I guess #1 is the most likely, but I really have no idea.
---
[OF] Mini Mii
Video Games: the only reason you get out of bed every afternoon.
#6Guardian of HyrulePosted 6/2/2011 6:54:57 PM
sampama226 posted...
1. Players could make there own adventure maps with evented spawning, weather, weapons and other things very similar to a program called Adventure Craft. And then players could play them in adventure mode, much like what people do now with adventure maps except you couldn't place blocks and the creation would be more advanced.

This is probably the one that'll actually happen. And you know why?

Because that way Notch and Mojang barely have to do anything and can once again burden the community with basically doing all the work. You know, like they already do with the main game, forcing modders to fix all their crap and fill in all the holes they leave in the gameplay.

All we can hope for is that they add enough new gameplay elements that this "Make your own adventure" system works, and possibly add a "Random Dungeon" generator that could be used if people are feeling lazy.
---
We can all learn something from the Legend of Zelda and it's triforce, Power is nothing without the courage and wisdom to make use of it...
#7GriffRobertsPosted 6/3/2011 8:28:23 AM

sampama226 posted...

This is probably the one that'll actually happen. And you know why?

Because that way Notch and Mojang barely have to do anything and can once again burden the community with basically doing all the work. You know, like they already do with the main game, forcing modders to fix all their crap and fill in all the holes they leave in the gameplay.

All we can hope for is that they add enough new gameplay elements that this "Make your own adventure" system works, and possibly add a "Random Dungeon" generator that could be used if people are feeling lazy.

Because SO MANY features of Minecraft have been taken from mods. And the modders aren't being forced to do anything.
---
Jackass.