Which is the best version of Minecraft?

#1MortalDangerPosted 6/30/2011 6:55:57 AM
Haven't played in a while and I updated to 1.6.6 last night and immediately knew that was a bad idea. First, it rains the whole time which kills my frame rate. Not that big of a deal, I can get that no particles mod and fix it. The big problem, however, is the freakin' MEMORY LEAK! I can't play more than 5 minutes before Minecraft runs out of memory. I know this isn't an isolated problem because I googled it and noticed some Yogscast LPs having the same problem.

So, I'm going to revert. My question is, what patch is the best? Which version balances stability vs. content?
---
http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/291/8736/2918736.png
#2MultisensoryPosted 6/30/2011 6:58:13 AM
Alpha 1.0
---
I place $20 into a box. So do you. There is now $40 in the box. I sell the box to you for $30. We both walk away with a $10 profit.
www.whatismae.com
#3Coop14Posted 6/30/2011 6:58:47 AM
Its your computer. Im being serious post specs and i can tell you right away.
---
I am a fan of Steve Burns for being a childhood hero and a great Indie artist.
My cousin is David Hasselhoff. Believers: 6
#4Tzuba12Posted 6/30/2011 6:59:33 AM
Its not Minecraft's problem. Its your problem. Look up allocating memory to java. And it doesn't rain all the time. You just got unlucky. Did you even try to adjust the settings to make the game run smoother? I mean, my computer is 6 years old and has never been upgraded and it runs minecraft decently.
#5PathlessBulletPosted 6/30/2011 7:22:06 AM
1.3 had the best performance yet.

Dem FPS <3 Guess varying performance is to be expected between beta updates and all... we just have to wait until Notch fixes and eventually breaks it again.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#6YombieePosted 6/30/2011 7:25:20 AM
1.6.6 with optimine + optifog
No particles
Tall grass fix
#7lascat9Posted 6/30/2011 7:26:32 AM
You're going to have to allocate more memory to Minecraft.
---
We were content to make products that are attractive to the 16-35 year old guy who has gotten no date for Saturday night. - Bobby Kotick
#8vecrynPosted 6/30/2011 7:32:28 AM
I have the memory issue as well, it crashes quite frequently in more recent updates. The issue mostly is minecraft is very deceptive in requirements. My computer isn't horrible but it could use an upgrade, but minecraft requires a lot more than games that look 10 times more advanced. I can run dragon age, unreal 3, crysis and others just fine and yet minecraft will crash due to memory thanks to it being programmed in java.

I'm not complaining or anything honestly, just stating that it does require a pretty decent build sometimes to run well. It even has issues on my dad's pc which is running a quad core with 8 gb of ram lol, so it's not really a pc's fault it is minecrafts fault.
#9TheLucidChibaPosted 6/30/2011 8:01:58 AM(edited)
It only uses one core, and you need to manually allocate more memory. I've only crashed once, months ago never again. It's your fault, not the computer.

PS my laptop can't run dragon age, crysis etc.
---
GT - LucidChiba
FOR THE EMPEROR!
#10MortalDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 8:49:11 AM
Right, that all makes sense except for the part where: "1.3 works then 5 minutes later, 1.6.6 does not work". Hm.

I'll see what I can do. But if not, I'm going back to 1.3.
---
Recently traded in: Fallout: New Vegas (360); Ghostbusters: The Video Game (360); Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (360); Turok (360); Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08