Why can't pistons move obsidian?

#1XerielPosted 7/14/2011 8:51:40 AM
I've been toying around with different security measures, and it always struck me as absurd that you can build these elaborate locking mechanisms for an iron door which is next to a stone wall you can dig through in 2 seconds.

I started to envision a piston mechanism for my underground base which would open a gap in an obsidian wall hiding my chests, and I planned to encase the redstone and pistons behind obsidian as well to prevent tampering.

Does anyone else have some handy tricks for keeping people out of places?
#2gfhjfnvfuiPosted 7/14/2011 8:55:44 AM
Maybe you could have an AND/OR switch connected to a pressure plate in front of a chest and a lever hidden. if the lever is off, the pressure plate causes a stack of sand to fall on the chest, keeping it from being opened for a while as the thief digs it away.
---
Non-believers are saying he was caught in place of TC. I, however, have faith. Asian man can never be defeated. - Smidgeisntblack
#3galla553Posted 7/14/2011 8:57:44 AM
I'd say they can't be moved because it's griefer protection actually. It seems stupid to have a material that takes so long to mine through but could be pushed aside by some idiot armed with a piston and bad intentions.

Or at least that's what I've heard from people who do that whole 'social' thing *shudder*
---
True gender equality is actually perceived as inequality. A situation that is perfectly equal between men and women is seen as being biased in favor of women.
#4tmy2uPosted 7/14/2011 9:10:10 AM
Try using Bricks, or better yet, try bedrock.
---
GameFAQs! Where Frequently Asked Questions are forbidden.
#5Xeriel(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2011 9:24:58 AM
Bedrock can't be moved either (more importantly it can't be mined and placed legitimately), and bricks don't take any longer to break than stone do they?
#6thor23Posted 7/14/2011 9:32:12 AM
Brick takes 3 seconds to break with any type of pick.
#7vecrynPosted 7/14/2011 9:38:22 AM
my vault is fairly well hidden with my diamonds there. I have it set so it's inside obsidian protected by a combination lock in a very undisclosed location that isn't connected to any caverns. You have to get to it from the surface by digging out the enterance that takes you to it. Plus I have several locations like this as well which have nothing in them just for the fun of it.
#8TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/14/2011 10:32:25 AM
vecryn posted...
my vault is fairly well hidden with my diamonds there. I have it set so it's inside obsidian protected by a combination lock in a very undisclosed location that isn't connected to any caverns. You have to get to it from the surface by digging out the enterance that takes you to it. Plus I have several locations like this as well which have nothing in them just for the fun of it.

And then Team aVo comes along with an X-ray texture pack and totally ignores your complicated design
#9PierzPosted 7/14/2011 10:37:38 AM
Because pistons obsidiously can't.
#10TrentHawkinsPosted 7/14/2011 10:47:46 AM
Also, obsidian gives you another degree of control with piston contraptions. Having a block line stop x spaces out without having to have another 12-x blocks can be useful.
---
"We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal."