Anybody here understand how it's decided what enchantments you get?

#1Mini_MiiPosted 11/15/2011 12:18:13 PM
I've become quite obsessed with enchantments lately. I understand it's random, but I really want a pickaxe with fortune or silk touch, and I would also love to have a sword with looting.

I play on a small server with 2 other guys and we've been extremely unlucky. We've spent a fair amount of time killing mobs at night to get xp points. Couple days ago I spent 32 points on a diamond pick and only got efficiency III. I also spent 20 something xp on a diamond sword and only got sharpness III.

In fact all we ever get with picks is efficiency and occasionally unbreaking. Doesn't matter if we spend 8 xp on it or 30+. My question is, does anyone know if you have to have a huge amount of xp points to get these rarer enchantments? Can I still get a silk touch pick at level 15, or do I have to have something ridiculous like level 45 or even 50 to have a chance?

tl;dr I just want to know if it's a waste of my time to get a big xp level, or if I would be better off enchanting a new pick every time I get to level 20 or so until I get one of these enchantments I'm looking for.
---
I knew it
#2_DTM_Posted 11/15/2011 12:58:06 PM
Pretty sure silk touch requires somewhere in the 20 range.
---
Currently playing: Gears of War 3, Uncharted 2, Portal 2, Borderlands & Sly Cooper.
#3Mac13ethPosted 11/15/2011 1:02:48 PM
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchanting

More bookcases?
---
Sometimes I think I have gone mad, other times I just wish I had.
#4Mini_Mii(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2011 7:09:51 AM
In case anyone else was curious:

I looked up enchanting on the wiki. I don't know how accurate it is, but I did a little math and it looks like in order to give yourself a chance at getting silk touch on a diamond pickax, you need at least 7 xp. This is if all the random numbers chosen are the biggest, best scenario for you, which is not likely to happen. Level 34 or higher guarantees you have a chance at getting silk touch even if you get all the worst case random numbers chosen. 18 is about the average.

This is still not going to guarantee anything as each of the possible enchantments are weighted, and silk touch is only weighted with a 1, while efficiency is weighted with a 10. Basically you are 10 times more likely to get efficiency.

So it seems anything in the 20 range will give me a good shot of at least having a chance of getting silk touch. After that it's just luck of the draw. Anything over 34 is really overkill if what I calculated is correct.
---
I knew it
#5Mac13ethPosted 11/16/2011 7:41:29 AM
If you have a really high enchant level (around 50) the chance of getting two enchants is around 50-50. Once you have Efficiency (the most probable tool enchant), it is taken off the list, effectively raising the chances of getting Silk Touch or Fortune. Do you think you'll have a better overall chance making two items at level 50 rather than five items at level 20?
---
Sometimes I think I have gone mad, other times I just wish I had.
#6AROCK86Posted 11/16/2011 8:16:26 AM
Mac13eth posted...
If you have a really high enchant level (around 50) the chance of getting two enchants is around 50-50. Once you have Efficiency (the most probable tool enchant), it is taken off the list, effectively raising the chances of getting Silk Touch or Fortune. Do you think you'll have a better overall chance making two items at level 50 rather than five items at level 20?

Yeah, that was the part I didn't understand was how it was decided when you get multiple enchantments. You're right, if you get efficiency removed from the list, your chances go way up of getting silk touch.
---
[OF] Mini Mii
Video Games: the only reason you get out of bed every afternoon.