what's the best way to find a nether fortress?

#1YoshiTurtwig529Posted 11/25/2011 2:42:31 PM
I just keep searching and searching but can't find one. Are there any strategies besides blindly running about the nether?
---
Remember, don't fail or else the mongoose overlords will banish you to the world of rabid spider-monkeys and mad cows!
#2midget_devil_18Posted 11/25/2011 3:22:53 PM
Are you using a 1.8 or earlier nether? If so i'd delete your nether and reset.
---
My minecraft-related channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ichalvl?feature=mhee
#3ThedraxPosted 11/25/2011 3:38:13 PM
I just walked out of my portal and turned around. On three different worlds.
---
Hullo! This is the part where I kill you! -Wheatley
If you are what you eat, why aren't I a baby yet?
#4tomma101Posted 11/25/2011 3:41:10 PM
This is what I had to do to get a fortress to be within a good area of my portal;

1. Generate a new world in creative
2. Go to the nether
3. Find a fortress
4. Open mcedit and copy the fortress
5. Paste it into your world that lacks a fortress
---
It's pretty BS that you have to have an internet connection to download games now a days. -GeneralGilbert
Australia, love it or leave it
#5LordClydePosted 11/25/2011 6:23:46 PM
Use an xray mod.
#6GoaFan77Posted 11/25/2011 6:37:00 PM
If its the first time you're going into the nether on a 1.0 world, you shouldn't have to go far to find one. Though they tend to be a bit above the "lava ocean" (at least on my world), so if you're at the bottom of the nether that could be why.
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#7YoshiTurtwig529(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 1:23:00 PM
I set up the world back in 1.7.9 and have updated to the full version. Since it was set up before there were nether fortresses, does that mean they won't spawn? Does it also apply for strongholds and NPC villages if that is true?
---
Remember, don't fail or else the mongoose overlords will banish you to the world of rabid spider-monkeys and mad cows!
#8GoaFan77Posted 11/26/2011 1:46:20 PM
They will spawn, but you'll have to go to areas you never explored before so the game generates new chunks. Depending on how much you explored the nether that may mean you have to go a bit out of your way.
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#9YoshiTurtwig529(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 2:18:50 PM
alright, thanks. I was afraid they wouldn't spawn at all and I would have to make a new world.
---
#10HaywoodJBMPosted 11/26/2011 2:31:14 PM
I too am having problems. The world I started was made in 1.0. At my portal, it is surrounded by the lava ocean, and i cant find it
---
this guy sounds like someone I want to punch in the dick-gtaking5
Minecraft IGN: MottoScotto