How important is a dedicated graphics card for this game?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft
  3. How important is a dedicated graphics card for this game?

User Info: Mini_Mii

5 years ago#1
I am thinking about buying a new laptop. I wouldn't really play any other games on it other than Minecraft, but I want to make sure I can at least play on Normal viewing distance without getting 2 fps.

I've heard some people say this game would work fine as long as I have a decent amount of RAM and a decent processor, but I've also heard that a dedicated graphics card makes a big difference too.

If I got a laptop with an Intel Core i5 and 4 GB of RAM with an integrated graphics card would that be good enough? Or should I shell out the extra cash for one with a dedicated graphics card? Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions about this?
I knew it

User Info: saul777

5 years ago#2
any new onboard card should be fine.

User Info: Gastroid

5 years ago#3
It's about as important as having one, quite frankly. Or, as said, a newer integrated chip, but that's a finer line.
Iota Gastroid
Modular Vacuum Fighter/Bomber

User Info: kris17352

5 years ago#4
Better to have a dedicated but the new integrated graphics with sandy bridge operate well enough. I think they surpass my old laptop with a 4570 which played the game fine. Getting a better processor is more important, I have a 5650 with my current laptop that should play it fine but due to my slower processor I only get around 30fps full screen.

User Info: JonWood007

5 years ago#5
GMA 4500m runs it with lag, intel 3000 with sandy bridge should run it fine. If you wanna be sure, you could always get an AMD fusion comp, but i wouldnt recommend it just for minecraft since the CPUs are weaker than intel's.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: Celeron 900 | 3 GB DDR2 | GMA 4500m | 250 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768

User Info: nudemanonbike

5 years ago#6
On my mom's laptop with a slightly weaker processor and the same amount of ram, she can get a stable 40 FPS with the graphics turned way down.

I imagine it'll be playable- but if you want to have any chance of playing on far with some nice texture packs, shell out for a graphics card.

User Info: KingOhKayJOPA

5 years ago#7
It is not important for Minecraft, but you should save up and get a good gaming computer/laptop anyway so you can play other great games such as Skyrim. This is my recommendation.
A true American hero.

User Info: Paladin Z

Paladin Z
5 years ago#8
Everything I have heard it's the cpu that matters far more than anything in minecraft, the graphics are simply but being java coded for a full game is a resource hog so it's cpu and ram.
if you imply that there's anything bad about Bustarina the Sinister Rack I'll cut you down.

User Info: darcnavyseal

5 years ago#9
^This. GPU has nothing to do with minecraft. It runs good on my 5770 and it runs equally well on my 4530, which is far worse. Ram is most important.

User Info: The Cynic

The Cynic
5 years ago#10
Having a dedicated GPU as opposed to an integrated graphics chip makes the difference between 60-80 FPS and 10-20 FPS.
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft
  3. How important is a dedicated graphics card for this game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived