Whats the right IP for my mine craft server?

#1TheToxicFlame01Posted 1/20/2012 3:01:19 PM

Ive been on lots of sites telling me how to set up a minecraft server and the server is made, i can run around on it (despite being stuck in the middle of the ocean) and it has a functioning start.command and etc. But when my friends try to connect to it, it just dosent let them. I think its the IP. The server is just called world and there isnt a specified level seed and on the Server.properties it leaves the Server ip= space blank. I dont know how to fix this or what ip to give. I there are like 3 differant ways to find out your IP each gives differant results. I thought to find out the minecraft IP you just looked up "whats my IP" and that would be the one, but no, than i get advice from some professional that i go into SP and look in the network section and it told me a COMPLETELY differant IP code (AND it dosent work). THAN i get some guy on a site saying you need to replace the numbers past the last dot with a 1. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE JUST TELL ME HOW TO DO IT RIGHT! I HAVE LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO HAVE IT SORTED! i run a Mac OS X and run off WI-FI bigpond connections.

#2Chuck_BosworthPosted 1/20/2012 3:10:22 PM
Google this: "whats my ip"

It will give you your public IP address. This is what other people use to connect to your server.

The next person can handle the next step, I don't have time to finish my post. Sorry.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#3tomma101Posted 1/20/2012 3:24:44 PM
im not too good with servers, but have you done your port forwarding? and do you have a static or dynamic ip address?
---
It's pretty BS that you have to have an internet connection to download games now a days. -GeneralGilbert
Australia, love it or leave it
#4nudemanonbikePosted 1/20/2012 5:15:53 PM
port forwarding

do it
---
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/nudemanonbike/NudeBiker.jpg
#5DrSickDuckPosted 1/20/2012 5:27:21 PM

port forwarding

do it

Useless if you don't have a static IP, making your IP address static has to be done first.
---
i3-550@4.0Ghz -- MSI 460 Cyclone -- 8Gb G. Skill RAM -- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb -- Antec TP-650 -- Lian-Li A05 -- EVGA P55 Micro--Razer Blackwidow--R.A.T 7
#6Blood_NightsPosted 1/20/2012 8:05:36 PM
DrSickDuck posted...
port forwarding

do it
Useless if you don't have a static IP, making your IP address static has to be done first.

No it doesn't, you can run a server with a dynamic IP, but either daily, weekly or monthly you'll have to tell your friends the new IP. You still need to portforward though.
---
GoaFan77 - My character is an Endermanian. The whole world is just the block carried by the giant Enderman in the sky...
#7TheToxicFlame01(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2012 10:03:46 PM

Well i'm despirate here, so i'll do the port forwarding and everything that anyone suggests. Ok, so you say that the google "Whats my IP" thing is the right IP. But do i have to get rid of the last numbers and replace it with a 1? or is that some guy trying to mess with my head.. 

#8cjnoonePosted 1/21/2012 11:13:47 PM
That sounds like someone giving you advice on how to access your router settings, but you don't do that with your public IP, so it's useless advice.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.
#9nudemanonbikePosted 1/22/2012 12:51:15 AM(edited)
no, just give out the IP you found.

I'll tell you about the "replacing the last digit with 1" thing, if you're curious. It's really not important.

---
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/nudemanonbike/NudeBiker.jpg
#10KGhaleonPosted 1/22/2012 1:10:11 AM
On a side note, you could just get an account with http://dyn.com/dns and use either the trial or $20/yr which will let you map your IP to a domain name that you could share with your friends. You would just need to update your IP in your account for that domain name instead of having to send it to friends all the time.
---
Gaming commentary channel:
Youtube.com/KGhaleon