How do I install new snapshot?

#1TitanStrikePosted 2/21/2012 9:56:40 AM(edited)
Probably a stupid question. I'm running windows 7.
EDIT: I have downloaded it already.
---
o---|==================>
GT: KITTYONFYRE
#2Blood_NightsPosted 2/21/2012 10:01:47 AM
Run > %appdata% > Roaming Data when the window pops up > .minecraft > bin. Drag and drop the minecraft snapshot file over into that folder and you're set.
---
GoaFan77 - My character is an Endermanian. The whole world is just the block carried by the giant Enderman in the sky...
#3TitanStrike(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 10:04:23 AM
Drag the .jar into the bin? Weird. Should I force update first, to uninstall my mods?
---
o---|==================>
GT: KITTYONFYRE
#4Blood_NightsPosted 2/21/2012 10:13:10 AM
When you drag it over to the bin folder it'll automatically replace the mincraft.jar meaning your mods will be deleted.
---
GoaFan77 - My character is an Endermanian. The whole world is just the block carried by the giant Enderman in the sky...
#5aj_hacker87Posted 2/21/2012 10:18:35 AM
Blood_Nights posted...
When you drag it over to the bin folder it'll automatically replace the mincraft.jar meaning your mods will be deleted.

Except if you have any mods in the mod folder and any config files will remain you may want to delete the .minecraft folder download the latest version then replace the minecraft .jar with the snapshot version.
---
#6Blood_NightsPosted 2/21/2012 10:40:25 AM
aj_hacker87 posted...
Blood_Nights posted...

Except if you have any mods in the mod folder and any config files will remain you may want to delete the .minecraft folder download the latest version then replace the minecraft .jar with the snapshot version.

Uhm why? Those mod files are ignored because Modloader isn't present to load them. They're not going to effect performance or if the game will load at all.
---
#7TStoddenPosted 2/21/2012 2:26:38 PM
0) If first run on computer, run Minecraft normally to get all core files.

1) go to %appdata%/.minecraft/bin

2) replace minecraft.jar with the downloaded snapshot.

3) Close up & launch Minecraft normally to enjoy.

WARNING: Worlds created in snapshot 12w07 onward will be using the new chunk management system, which is incompatible with most external mapping programs (Minutor, Cartographer-G, ect.) & with Minecraft v1.1! Please bear this in mind if you consider to returning to Minecraft v1.1 later.
---
~TStodden
Game Monkey likes you...
#8LeTHaL_PiRaTePosted 2/21/2012 2:49:22 PM
Say I update to the new snapshot. If I'm playing on a SMP server will the server have to be updated for it to take effect or will I still get some of the benefits without the server being updated?

Sorry if this is a stupid question
---
GT: LeTHaL PiRaTe
God is like Santa Claus for adults.
#9EarthApocalyptoPosted 2/21/2012 2:55:42 PM
LeTHaL_PiRaTe posted...
Say I update to the new snapshot. If I'm playing on a SMP server will the server have to be updated for it to take effect or will I still get some of the benefits without the server being updated?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

You have to de-updated or update the server.
---
...And so when I go onto GameFAQs and see your posts in piratey voices, it makes me chuckle. - minimang123
Furry of TBWNN
#10rikvanoostendePosted 2/22/2012 12:49:21 AM
I'd like to add, after having the same problem installing it for hours, that the donwloaded file might be a zip file and you have to rename the extension to .jar

I don't know why the youtube tutorials left that part out, but maybe I'm a noob.
---
No lollygagging!