Need help finding a nether dungeon in my seed...

#1mtjormitchPosted 4/24/2012 11:27:11 PM

This is the seed I am currently using, however I, for the life of me cannot find any nether fortresses. I have went north in the nether from a portal I made below the village and I cannot find anything whatsoever.

I am now desperate and I am unsure if minecraft can be modded to instantly find nether fortresses on a map or something. Or some other program. But if anyone is willing to check this seed out and tell me if there are any nether fortresses at all. That would be an amazing help to me!
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2benjaminkcPosted 4/24/2012 11:46:47 PM
Because of the way Nether fortresses generate, it is possible to travel north or south forever and never find one. Better to travel west or east.

That said, Amidst can find Nether fortresses from your seed. Ignore where the icons appear on the overworld biome map -- it's just the coordinates that matter. (The icon placement isn't multiplied by 8 from origin like it would need to be for the icons to line up with the biome map.) Also, once you go to the specified coordinates, you may need to dig down or up to actually find the fortress.

Link so you don't have to google:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/626786-v2026-amidst-strongholds-village-biome-ect-finder/
#3benjaminkcPosted 4/24/2012 11:47:58 PM
Also, to see what I mean about north/south, just load any seed in Amidst, enable netherhold icons, and zoom way out. It's rather interesting.
#4mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2012 12:04:05 AM
benjaminkc posted...
Also, to see what I mean about north/south, just load any seed in Amidst, enable netherhold icons, and zoom way out. It's rather interesting.

Just checked it out... north and south were the very wrong ways to go... dammit... -_-

That is weird that they are basically strait lines though...
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#5mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2012 1:05:41 AM
It says x 668 and z 176, I went to those directions made a nethergate and I just spawned at my first gate...

Before I waste a diamond axe and lose it when destroying my original gate... how exactually should I do this so I can do it fast.

I calculated that, by times 8, the nether fortresses might be at x 7120 and z 1584... please tell me these aren't the real nether world fortress place... Should I just build a gate and destroy the original one? Or should I just take the insanely long way?
---
#6NykzaPosted 4/25/2012 6:11:29 AM
This is from your seed.
http://imgur.com/uhwBU,aIrmX,rLOxp,rHfOf,5OCVB

Explanation: 1st picture was spawn, built a portal to the Nether, found the fortress, built a portal on that bridge, landed in the cave, dug my way up and made that bird's-eye screenshot of the area.

*shrug*
---
http://i.imgur.com/w2Ni4.jpg
"The 360 has a flimsy disk tray. The ps3 has state-of-the-art dvd pushy thingy out" - BigoSmallo
#7benjaminkcPosted 4/25/2012 12:44:36 PM
Nykza's info should be all you need, but to clear up some things for you:

mtjormitch posted...
It says x 668 and z 176, I went to those directions made a nethergate and I just spawned at my first gate...

Nether gates don't work how you'd expect. They only make a new gate if there isn't one anywhere nearby for it to use. Since the nether is "condensed" 8x, gates that are 1000 blocks away on the surface can end up linking to the same gate in the nether. For all the details behind how this works (and how to use it to your advantage), see this thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/345806-nether-portal-science/

I calculated that, by times 8, the nether fortresses might be at x 7120 and z 1584...

No, see, when using Amidst to find nether holds, don't look at the surface map, and don't multiply anything by 8. Just warp into the nether, look at your coordinates there in the nether. Look at the map to find a nether hold with similar coordinates, and walk there in the nether. Much more straightforward than trying to travel all that distance in the overworld and try to portal directly into a netherhold.