The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Items worth in value?

#112upPosted 5/9/2012 1:07:26 AM
A couple of buddies and I have recently created a server and Although we have enjoyed using a trading system of sorts like for example 64 arrows for 20 pieces of iron, we thought we should take it to the next level. I have decided to turn the question to you guys seeing as how this is the first Time any of us have played minecraft online together. I thought I should ask the experts And ask what do you guys believe works best? In short I'm asking for a trade system that works For more experienced players. We were all thinking about using gold nuggets and placing Values on such but saw the problem could easily stem through how to regulate ginsurer such. Sorry for the wall of text but yeah that is our dilemma. Feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
#2tomma101Posted 5/9/2012 2:01:40 AM(edited)
It is difficult to create a real working economy in minecraft without mods, you cant just use a worthless item to represent value and back it up with something of value as anyone could reproduce the money and saturate the market. Without mods i suggest placing a value on items, it does not matter what value you put on an item as it is your own localized economy.

You also have to remember that in minecraft you make everything yourself, using a form of currency like gold nuggets is worthless because:

A. They are unlimited in supply eg; zombie pigmen and mining gold

B. You only need so much gold before you cant make anything else, therefore it becomes useless, why trade a stack of diamond for for gold nuggets when you dont need the gold? It doesnt work as standard currency because of this

In vanilla bartering is best, but you can set a value for items; 5 iron= 1 diamond or whatever value that is deemed fit.

You could set a correct value by finding the saturation of ores and the percentage they have of appearing and valuing the items like that.

But as supply of certain items flucuate you must alter their worth to keep the economy stable, you dont want somebody farming 300 stacks of arrows and ruining the market.

Depends how complicated you want to get.

You could always use a mod like iconomy aswell
---
It's pretty BS that you have to have an internet connection to download games now a days. -GeneralGilbert
Australia, love it or leave it
#3Mr HangmanPosted 5/9/2012 1:59:05 AM
If it's a small server then I suggest Physical Shop. That lets people buy things with gold, diamonds, iron, or any other custom defined currency item. If you use a plugin that create money like iConomy, then you have to worry about establishing the value of that currency, and entire nations struggle with that.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/econ-physicalshop-v9-1-0-sign-and-chest-shops-no-commands-no-databases-1-2-5-r1.36192/

As for how to fairly price individual items, there are two schools of thought. Some would say the value of an item is how much labor it takes to get. That can be measured if you're diligent. Others would say it's how much people are willing to pay for it, which can be found through trial and error but will be challenging on a small server where the shops might not get much business.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#412up(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 2:19:05 AM
Thanks for both your replies. These points were exactly what I was trying to get across to our admin who owns the server but I just wanted to see if anyone found a working way around it. I'll have to look into iconomy.The server is small consisting only of 8 of us and 2 of us are not necessarily against, but need some convincing to consider. My fellow idealist and i are currently building a colosseum to hopefully quench our server's owner appeal towards that step in economy. That was my next question, would there be a mod where I can handout currency based on how I see fit? I was leaning towards running a colosseum and having people fight on "perks" where basically fighting earns you currency which can be traded into items used on the battlefield such as TNT, arrows, etc? Otherwise I would have to note by hand. Sorry again, turned a simple question into quite the paragraph (:
#5Tster01Posted 5/9/2012 5:26:54 AM
7up
---
I WAS HERE
#6craelonPosted 5/9/2012 9:27:14 AM
On my server I like to use the Equivalent Exchange EMC values as a base for determining price. It's already very balanced and most of the values are pretty reasonable.

Here's a list of the EMC values for all the items:
http://equivalentexchange.wikispaces.com/Alchemical+Math+v6

Basically what this chart says is that one iron ingot is worth 256 cobblestone.

If you want the major ores and they're "prices" here's a quick list.

Iron ingot = 256 cobblestone
Gold ingot = 8 iron ingots
Lapis = roughly 3 iron ingots
Diamond = 4 gold ingots or 32 iron ingots

The Equivalent Exchange mod has been around a while and has undergone countless balancing updates so you can be assured that these prices for items are quite reasonable. I would just use it as a base for the price of things, you don't need to copy it exactly.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v