How to not get lost easily?

#1Super_Jedi7Posted 5/24/2012 1:24:36 PM
I started playing single player and well its pretty fun. Problem is if I walk of in any direction for like 10 minutes I become so hopelessly lost I can never find my way back from where I started. What should I do different? any suggestions are great.
---
My Xbox live tag is zeric7x.
http://zeric7x.hubpages.com I write articles about video games on Hubpages.
#2DuckerdooPosted 5/24/2012 1:29:46 PM
Use a method called trailblazing. As you travel, alter the landscape a little, and use those as markers.
---
All your theories are correct.
Any contradictions are only to throw off suspicion.
#3TuxedoCyanPosted 5/24/2012 1:37:30 PM
If you practice migrating, you can eventually get used to it. I used to be really bad at getting lost too, but now I can jump onto any map, travel for a long time, and find my way back no problem. You just have to use the sun or clouds for a reference of which direction you are going. Or you could just use F3 to see your coordinates and just write down where your base is.
---
Like it or leave it. Hey, where are you going?
#4DuckerdooPosted 5/24/2012 1:39:52 PM
TuxedoCyan posted...
Or you could just use F3

I feel so stupid right about now.
---
All your theories are correct.
Any contradictions are only to throw off suspicion.
#5G1ANT_SQU1DPosted 5/24/2012 3:09:35 PM
not really. i dont use F3. i like the challenge of navigation
---
You should play the Crpg multiplayer mod for Mount and blade: Warband. its good
its good
#6Kastro187420Posted 5/24/2012 3:15:22 PM
What I like to do is lay torches down. If I'm in a large cave system, I try to lay all my torches down as I'm exploring on my left side... so if I need to get out, I just keep all the torches on my right to make sure I'm going the right way.

Otherwise, F3 is your best bet. That, or just get a Compass (4 Iron with Redstone in the middle). That makes a huge difference I've learned.
---
PSN - Kastro187420 - Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
#7Defensor24Posted 5/24/2012 3:15:52 PM
F3 gives you x, y, and z coordinates that work precisely the same as your standard 3 axis coordinate system in mathematics except that the y-coordinate is your height. By memorizing the coordinates to your base or writing them down it is quite simple to find your way back simply by walking around with F3 activated to see which direction takes you closer to your origin (not the origin as in (0,0,0)).

If this feels like cheating you can also make a compass or a map. I tend to make arrows out of torches pointing back in the direction of my base since they are easy to see at night. The one downfall with this is that if you travel further than usual you might be far beyond any of your previously laid torch arrows.
#8ZiodynePosted 5/24/2012 3:24:49 PM
There are a few basic ways, depending on how far in you are. You can place a line of torches behind you as you go like breadcrumbs (torches take sticks and coal or charcoal), that's the typical early-midgame method. You can craft a compass and map (compass takes redstone and iron, map takes paper and a compass), but you might not have access to some of the materials yet if you're just starting out. Lastly, you could just build some HUGE-ass floating object, something you can see from way far away, and know on sight "Oh yeah, that's not there naturally." No shape in particular, just something that takes a massive enough amount of blocks to be seen from space.
---
Member of the Super Ethical Genki Hunters [Saints Row the Third]
#9ISendOutMarioPosted 5/24/2012 3:27:50 PM
Don't forget to tempararliy turn your render distance higher.
---
Mario!! I choose you!!! * wah-hah!!* Use PWN!!
#10daftalive08Posted 5/24/2012 3:40:50 PM
The easiest way for me to keep track of where I am is using the sun and moon.

Just like in real life, the sun will raise in the east and set in the west.
As soon as I wonder off in a direction I look up at the sun and see which way I'm going.

If I'm heading north I simply go south to get back to where I was.
---
http://i28.tinypic.com/11vjlw5.jpg
Thanks N805