legal & technical entry barrier questions to buying Minecraft (long post)

#1chicagogr81Posted 6/24/2012 10:29:55 AM
OK, this is gonna be a lengthy post.

The gist of it is I was playing Minecraft on Xbox 360 and my save file got corrupted and I lost my world. I wasn't satisfied with all the missing elements of the PC version anyway and want to get the much more complete version to enjoy. However, I have several barriers to entry that are concerning. I'm hoping an expert or two here can give me a few minutes of their time and help me figure out if it's possible.

1) I live in Illinois, and it's my understanding that IL residents can't buy Minecraft because moneybookers isn't licensed here. I'm not going to lie and say I'm from a different state to bypass this issue. So is there another way? I heard you can use paypal to buy the game as well, but I'm pretty sure it would be based on the euro for buying Minecraft. I've never set-up a paypal account before, can you do it using a credit card? And is all this moot anyway because I'm an Illinois resident?

2) I don't have a gaming computer with a dedicated graphics card, and worse still all I've got is a laptop. Here are my specs:
- Windows 7
- Pentium Dual Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20 GHz
- 4.00 GB of RAM (3.84 GB usable)
- 64-bit operating system
- Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family video card

Yes I know that integrated graphics card is just awful for running Minecraft, but I did see a video on youtube of someone using that exact card to run it and managed to get it up to about 30 fps which is good enough for me. I'm not sure how though as it was not explained in the video. Is my computer gonna be able to pull this off? And what additional downloads or tweaks will I need to get a framerate that is bearable?

So that's my story. I know it's a huge longshot but if there's a way to get around the legal and technical limitations so I can enjoy this great game on PC I'd love to hear them. Thanks for listening.
---
JD/MBA/MS --- GT: Arvs23
In My Lifetime: 1 Lombardi Trophy, 6 O'Brien Trophies, 1 Commissioner's Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup
#2DeVespilloPosted 6/24/2012 10:33:37 AM
Why will you not lie and say you're from somewhere else? There's really not many ways of "getting around" it.

And your computer would run it, but not too well at all.
#3frozen_flamesPosted 6/24/2012 10:49:04 AM
You can use a credit card with Paypal, and Paypal also handles the conversion between Euros and USD.

You'll probably wanna get optifine with that computer, but my brother plays decently on a laptop with worse specs, so it should run it.
---
Can you hear the drums?
#4chicagogr81(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 11:05:04 AM
But will paypal let me purchase the game in Illinois? I can't seem to find a direct answer to this question anywhere.

I've heard of optifine, that if you install it and use normal render distance you'll be able to play OK. How many fps can I expect to get up to? And are there any other tricks to improve framerate with such a poor video card?
---
JD/MBA/MS --- GT: Arvs23
In My Lifetime: 1 Lombardi Trophy, 6 O'Brien Trophies, 1 Commissioner's Trophy, 1 Stanley Cup
#5DeVespilloPosted 6/24/2012 11:08:56 AM
Pretty sure Paypal lets you purchase from just about anywhere, if not anywhere, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I don't see why you'd use that other pay choice over Paypal anyways.

As far as what you could expect for FPS though - As long as you use Optifine it shouldn't be below 30 FPS.
#6azulmono55Posted 6/24/2012 11:48:34 AM
Yeah, Paypal is basically the best payment choice for everything. Almost anyone can get it as long as they have a bank account. You need to be 18 but you'd have to be REALLY honest to not lie your way around that, as I think it's just a case of small writing saying "I agree I am 18 years of age blah blah..." when you go forward a step. My friend said he didn't even know that was a requirement when he signed up.

Draws money from your account so you don't have to add anything to Paypal directly, is accepted almost everywhere online and handles conversion rates for you. Great tool and there's no reason not to get it.
---
BF3 Platoon for Skid Loader lovers - The Skid Loader Club:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241192792365/
#7GellesPosted 6/26/2012 1:18:18 PM
I'm in Illinois.

I bought Minecraft with Paypal.
#8Kinkajou1015Posted 6/26/2012 3:14:51 PM
Kurtjmac is in Illinois, he bought Minecraft.
---
But-but a Hacker really did post it! I swear that each and every post in this topic was posted by a Hacker. -Eagle
Posted from KinkaDroid
#9Fireworks73Posted 6/26/2012 3:29:55 PM
chicagogr81 posted...
OK, this is gonna be a lengthy post.

The gist of it is I was playing Minecraft on Xbox 360 and my save file got corrupted and I lost my world. I wasn't satisfied with all the missing elements of the PC version anyway and want to get the much more complete version to enjoy. However, I have several barriers to entry that are concerning. I'm hoping an expert or two here can give me a few minutes of their time and help me figure out if it's possible.

1) I live in Illinois, and it's my understanding that IL residents can't buy Minecraft because moneybookers isn't licensed here. I'm not going to lie and say I'm from a different state to bypass this issue. So is there another way? I heard you can use paypal to buy the game as well, but I'm pretty sure it would be based on the euro for buying Minecraft. I've never set-up a paypal account before, can you do it using a credit card? And is all this moot anyway because I'm an Illinois resident?

2) I don't have a gaming computer with a dedicated graphics card, and worse still all I've got is a laptop. Here are my specs:
- Windows 7
- Pentium Dual Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20 GHz
- 4.00 GB of RAM (3.84 GB usable)
- 64-bit operating system
- Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family video card

Yes I know that integrated graphics card is just awful for running Minecraft, but I did see a video on youtube of someone using that exact card to run it and managed to get it up to about 30 fps which is good enough for me. I'm not sure how though as it was not explained in the video. Is my computer gonna be able to pull this off? And what additional downloads or tweaks will I need to get a framerate that is bearable?

So that's my story. I know it's a huge longshot but if there's a way to get around the legal and technical limitations so I can enjoy this great game on PC I'd love to hear them. Thanks for listening.

You could pirate it (Notch said himself to feel free to do so), but it'd be much easier for you to simply lie about your state. Or use paypal, which does handle the conversion.
---
Times attacked by the Mods: 3
Times it was an actual offense: 2
#10tinfoil21Posted 6/26/2012 5:42:37 PM
You can buy Minecraft while in Illinois.