Interesting Tekkit issue.

#11OmfgitsBlah(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 9:20:33 AM
Yeah, vanilla minecraft allocates 1gb memory flawlessly and instantly, tekkit completely fails to allocate more than 256mb.

Tekkit's got major issues, which is depressing.
---
If inflaton turns $3 into $0, then $6 turns into $3. -Orca
#12zeldalordPosted 7/4/2012 9:29:11 AM
I have no trouble running a 64x Sphax on Tekkit

No memory leaks or anything.
---
XBL - Gamertag: Zeldalord
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein.
#13mjh410Posted 7/4/2012 9:45:35 AM
I have no problems as well. I have 12gb of RAM in my system. I'm sure it's overkill but I have 4gb allocated to my server and 4gb allocated to myself in the Technic Launcher as a client. I just did a couple tests and my server seems to consistently sit at about 650mb - 700mb of RAM usage. With 32x Faithful texture pack my game runs at about the same 650mb - 750mb. When I change to the 64x Sphax texture pack my RAM usage jumps up to 900mb - 1100mb and after playing for a few minutes it was at 1.25gb.

So it does in fact work and allows you to allocate more RAM. I will say however that was by viewing my Activity Monitor(MAC) the in game F3 information screen didn't display the same numbers. I am using a MAC with 64bit OS and 64bit Java. I can say that I haven't ran the server side on my Windows partition but I have ran the Technic SSP on Windows with texture packs and vanilla with my own random list of mods with even higher res texture packs and all was fine.

In the event you are on a MAC here is the tutorial video I used to setup a 3.0.4 server with the latest 3.x.x recommended build of Tekkit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJtF5KCjsc
#14mjh410Posted 7/4/2012 9:49:16 AM
Here is this link explaining how to check your version of Java, whether or not you have several versions installed, and how to allocate more RAM to Java. That might help, just an idea.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/350344-allocating-more-memory-to-java-windows/
#15ineedaname88Posted 7/4/2012 10:37:34 AM
Don't use tekkit, download and install the mods your self, problem solved.
---
Go big or go home broke. Bro-ski.
PSN: ThereIsNoSanta88
#16OmfgitsBlah(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 12:14:57 PM
Not on a mac, not on a 64-bit OS, and my resource manager declares that it's using 1gb, but only allocates 247mb.

That's great, except for when I need a configuration identical to tekkit to join certain servers.
---
#17ineedaname88Posted 7/4/2012 12:19:12 PM
OmfgitsBlah posted...
Not on a mac, not on a 64-bit OS, and my resource manager declares that it's using 1gb, but only allocates 247mb.

That's great, except for when I need a configuration identical to tekkit to join certain servers.

You can share config files....
---
#18OmfgitsBlah(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 12:20:25 PM
ineedaname88 posted...
OmfgitsBlah posted...

So... what you're saying is to make a mod pack identical to tekkit, and then ask server administrators for a copy of their client configuration files?
---
#19ineedaname88Posted 7/4/2012 12:23:47 PM
OmfgitsBlah posted...
ineedaname88 posted...
OmfgitsBlah posted...

So... what you're saying is to make a mod pack identical to tekkit, and then ask server administrators for a copy of their client configuration files?

Would those txt files not be basically all you need if the mod versions are the same?
---
#20OmfgitsBlah(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 12:26:32 PM
Would those txt files not be basically all you need if the mod versions are the same?

Gotta make sure to pick, download, install and order mods identically to Tekkit, then.

And getting anything from a server admin can be a super pain.
---