Is there a mod to make crafting like the Xbox 360 version?

#21vecrynPosted 7/19/2012 2:27:53 PM
Treason686 posted...
There is a mod that gives you a recipe book.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v125-risugamis-mods-everything-updated/

Otherwise, you'll just need to alt-tab out of the game and look at a browser.

lord_chao posted...

Some people don't have this option, given that there seems to be a significant playerbase that only have lower-end computers. Keeping minecraft open with any browser can cause some serious lag. (even with optifine in use)

If your PC can run Minecraft, it can open a web browser at the same time. I got to play on a friend's PC, and she had a modern C2D based Celeron with Intel graphics and 2GB of memory. It was capable of doing both at the same time without much trouble. If you have less than 2GB of memory, you have no excuse. Memory is dirt cheap. It costs less than the game to get 2GB or more memory.

thats funny... since my system specs beat what you listed and as of the moment my system can't run minecraft at all. So I guess that assumption is wrong hmm?
#22vecrynPosted 7/19/2012 2:46:15 PM
Treason686 posted...
lord_chao posted...
Treason686 posted...
There is a mod that gives you a recipe book.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v125-risugamis-mods-everything-updated/

Otherwise, you'll just need to alt-tab out of the game and look at a browser.

lord_chao posted...

Some people don't have this option, given that there seems to be a significant playerbase that only have lower-end computers. Keeping minecraft open with any browser can cause some serious lag. (even with optifine in use)

If your PC can run Minecraft, it can open a web browser at the same time. I got to play on a friend's PC, and she had a modern C2D based Celeron with Intel graphics and 2GB of memory. It was capable of doing both at the same time without much trouble. If you have less than 2GB of memory, you have no excuse. Memory is dirt cheap. It costs less than the game to get 2GB or more memory.
No, it can't. A lower-end computer is a lower-end computer. I know a lot of friends who have crap, outdated computers. They unfortunately do not possess the knowledge with how to upgrade, nor do they have the money to do so. (nor the desire, since school/college and stuff)

And before you ask "why did they buy it if they knew their computer sucked?"
1) Just take a look at the game. At first glance it doesn't look like a game that you would need more ram for.
2) In addition to the above, it seemed a cheaper alternative to other games
3) Some pirated it instead.
4) Some also just don't have the choice to upgrade, for various reasons.

I'm not going to make a list, but you haven't persuaded me. It costs about $20 to get 2GB or RAM, or maybe less depending on the motherboard. Don't give me the crap about not being able to upgrade, or not having the money. $20 isn't like a second mortgage.

It's twenty freaking dollars. If you could budget $20 for Minecraft, you could budget another $20 next month for extra RAM.

In other words, unless you're living in some third world (or otherwise less capable technology) country, you have no excuse.

20 bucks.... would love to know where you are shopping, since on Newegg the cheapest I see for my type of ram is 60+ and for one that is actually good it's about 160. You really should learn the prices of ram a bit more ^_^ As a note older ram is more expensive, the dirt cheap ones are the newer ram styles. Not everyone can upgrade to a motherboard that supports that type though. I plan too when I can build a new system but money is insanely tight right now.... 161 dollars for a seat belt ticket and I got 2 of them just this month =(. When tax return comes tough.... I am building a new system lol
#23linkumsPosted 7/19/2012 2:49:20 PM
I have to agree that something more like the 360 version of crafting is better. The current crafting in Minecraft is just poor design, not because you have to memorize the recipes (though that's part of it) but because it is almost impossible to figure out the recipes without using an outside source. It's something that "finished" game should have fixed already.
---
I don't give a **** if your German shepherd is eating your newborn. That's your personal problem. Start the game or get out of the lobby. - roflapotamus
#24MephystoPosted 7/20/2012 7:39:28 AM
linkums posted...
I have to agree that something more like the 360 version of crafting is better. The current crafting in Minecraft is just poor design, not because you have to memorize the recipes (though that's part of it) but because it is almost impossible to figure out the recipes without using an outside source. It's something that "finished" game should have fixed already.

On the other hand, we shouldn't have to be spoon fed on it either. The system in place on the xbox version was designed for console gamers - and console gamers are notorious for being casual to the level of wanting to be spoon fed exactly like that.

Yes, the crafting system is complex when you start out... but really, that's exactly as it should be. I think the learning curve may be just a bit high, but really, once i learned the common recipes, i never had an issue with it again. Yes, i still occassionally need to hop online to look one up, but being honest, it's not like it takes me alot of time to do so and get back to my game.

I prefer the crafting system exactly as it is now. It feels more like you're actually crafting and less like you're just hitting a button to have the game make something for you.

Though having said all that, i also wouldn't be opposed to the devs adding an option to switch over to the xbox style of crafting for those who want to do so - as long as they don't take away the original style in the process. To each their own style of play.
#25Treason686Posted 7/21/2012 10:27:54 AM
vecryn posted...

20 bucks.... would love to know where you are shopping, since on Newegg the cheapest I see for my type of ram is 60+ and for one that is actually good it's about 160. You really should learn the prices of ram a bit more ^_^ As a note older ram is more expensive, the dirt cheap ones are the newer ram styles. Not everyone can upgrade to a motherboard that supports that type though. I plan too when I can build a new system but money is insanely tight right now.... 161 dollars for a seat belt ticket and I got 2 of them just this month =(. When tax return comes tough.... I am building a new system lol

Okay... wear your seatbelt. Twice in one month? Do you want to die? Is it so hard to buckle up?

I know RAM prices just fine, actually. Worst case, you have DDR memory, and while it's more expensive, it's still not that expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145505

Or if it's laptop memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236309

If it's DDR2, it's even cheaper.
---
|| PSN/360 GT: Treason686 ||
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3|| Crossfire XFX Radeon 6870 || HP w2408h