What are the necessary requirements to get giant mushrooms to grow with bonemeal

#1Zarren364Posted 9/14/2012 10:32:32 PM
80/80

Unless I'm missing something like a specific block, or light level I can't seem to get it to work. I remember you used to be able to just plonk them down anywhere and get them to grow. Plus I want to know what conditions I need to have when I set up my underground complex.
---
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBW2C-Wargle I R - Zarren
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
#2SkootirPosted 9/14/2012 10:37:46 PM
A huge mushroom, brown or red, may grow to be 5, 6, or 7 blocks tall; no taller or shorter. They require a 7󬱞 to 7󬱠 space to grow depending on their height, not counting any spaces occupied by torches, ladders, etc. However, the bottom-most layer (where the mushroom is placed) only requires blocks immediately adjacent to the source mushroom to be free, not counting diagonal blocks.
A huge mushroom will only grow if there is sufficiently low light, or if grown on mycelium. Attempting to grow a mushroom in an area with too much light will not use up any bonemeal.
---
XBL GT: Skootir86
#3Mr HangmanPosted 9/14/2012 11:22:07 PM
Also the mushroom must be planted on dirt, grass, or mycelium.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#4jolly_picklesPosted 9/14/2012 11:48:10 PM
I've found the easiest way to grow them above ground on grass is to make a dirt platform around 7-8 blocks high, and 7x7ish wide. It's a pain, but there's not much else to be done about it
---
See quote for information about quotes.
#5Skystrike70Posted 9/15/2012 7:46:02 AM
If you plan on just using giant mushrooms to farm, make a nether portal that links to the "top" of the nether,( I believe a portal above y=128 will do this, but i'm not sure if it still does that). Then place dirt on top of the bedrock, and since the light level is always dark, and there is certainly enough space, plant giant mushrooms on the dirt. Thats what I do.