Newbie here: How will this laptop run Minecraft?

#1kaygee12Posted 9/20/2012 8:46:28 AM(edited)
Specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz, 1066MHz,
4GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive
15.4" WXGA/WXGA+/WSXGA+ AI Light Sensor embedded * WXGA (LED panel)
nVidia GeForce 9650 GT with 1GB memroy
DVD Super Multi
1.3 Mega Pixel web camera
Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100 ABGN

Please don't troll/flame me.

Edit: also, does this laptop have a dedicated graphics card? I hear this is important.
---
MH3: KayGee
*SIG FOR SALE* Inquire inside.
#2reccamachinePosted 9/20/2012 10:15:53 AM
Not bad, it will lag quite a bit. Get optifine and don't get texture packs. Should be alright..

This game uses a lot of memory so that 2 ghz processor is holding you back. The ram is good though and so is the graphics card.

Again, get optifine and play on medium to low settings
#3kaygee12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2012 10:53:42 AM(edited)
Would you purchase this for $450? CDN

Also, how much prossing speed should I be lookign for ?

Could you post a link to a under $500 computer great for running minecraft?

Thanks in advance.
---
MH3: KayGee
*SIG FOR SALE* Inquire inside.
#4Mac13ethPosted 9/20/2012 11:09:44 AM
nVidia GeForce 9650 GT with 1GB memory

That is your video card; it is dedicated. When you are shopping just avoid anything that says "integrated video". nVidia is a good brand for video and so is ATI; if you see either of those names the video card is probably good enough.

This computer looks like a good value at $450. I think it will run Minecraft without much difficulty, but as mentioned, one of the optimizing mods would be good. You won't need to avoid texture packs altogether, just stick to the 16x packs as they use no more power than the default textures. You won't be able to use the highest settings for video, but I don't think it will be too choppy to play on medium settings.
---
Sometimes I think I have gone mad, other times I just wish I had.
#5Masterbob1872Posted 9/20/2012 12:07:29 PM
reccamachine posted...
Not bad, it will lag quite a bit. Get optifine and don't get texture packs. Should be alright..

This game uses a lot of memory so that 2 ghz processor is holding you back. The ram is good though and so is the graphics card.

Again, get optifine and play on medium to low settings

Lag quite a bit? Are you kidding? My laptop has integrated graphics and I still get playable fps. 30-40 fps is what I get. With a dedicated graphics card you will be fine on normal settings.
---
GOTY Prediction: AC3
Official "One Who Came Before" of the AC3 boards.
#6Johnman65Posted 9/20/2012 2:59:29 PM
^30-40 FPS?! The most I've had is 20...

Maybe I should use the deafault textures with OptiFine(my favorite texture pack doesn't have 16x, IIRC. It's lowest is 32x.)...
---
Cataclysmic Cosmos: Proud 1st place of the Glitz Pit Season 4.
Strength without compassion does not a ruler make.