electrical engines (forestry) vs stirling engines (buildcraft)

#1nmagodPosted 12/3/2012 2:48:53 PM
The total mj output of one EE fed with one coal (in a generator) is 1299 mj, where the total output of a stirling engine fed with one coal is 1566.

When we take into account coal coke (from railcraft) the electrical engine's total output is (using a batbox as a buffer, because the coal coke produces far more power than a generator can buffer in its capacitor - 16,000 EU) 5190mj

And the stirling engine, also on one coal coke, outputs 6245mj

This is, I believe, important to know, because the electrical engines output 2mj/t where the stirling engines output 1mj/t

So it's more effective to use the electrical engine in "green energy" situations (water, wind or solar) and just keep the stirling engines for the "oh hey i need some buildcraft power here, let me plonk down a stirling"
---
TezzaLovesBarryB (Moderator) | Posted 3/20/2012 8:15:41 PM | message detail | quote
mods suck
#2benjaminkcPosted 12/3/2012 3:15:53 PM
I suspected as much, but good to know.

I don't suppose you did the numbers for any of the electron tube upgrades, for comparison? Though of course everything but the efficiency upgrade just makes the electric engine more inefficient. IIRC the iron tube upgrade would bump those numbers by 20%, making them about equivalent.

(I've only messed around with the electrical engines for a few minutes -- it seemed to be chewing through EU without producing MJ, so I wondered if maybe low voltage (copper) was not right for the electric engine.)
#3nmagod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:17:01 PM
Now, about combustion engines

Lava - 1MJ/t - total mj on one bucket is 20433mj

Oil - 3MJ/t - total mj on one bucket is 61703mj (and oil deposits, even small ones, are 20-some buckets)

Fuel - 6MJ/t - total mj on one bucket is pending. When the oil above finally burned off, fuel's output was around 120,000 and still going strong (having used less than 1/4 of its bucket)
---
TezzaLovesBarryB (Moderator) | Posted 3/20/2012 8:15:41 PM | message detail | quote
mods suck
#4spartalaughsPosted 12/3/2012 3:18:48 PM
I don't see how Electrical Engine is better for "green" power. Rather, based on your data, I would say that Sterling is better in efficiency and Electrical is better in output speed.
---
http://i.imgur.com/xf4wD.jpg
#5nmagod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:19:28 PM
benjaminkc posted...
I suspected as much, but good to know.

I don't suppose you did the numbers for any of the electron tube upgrades, for comparison? Though of course everything but the efficiency upgrade just makes the electric engine more inefficient. IIRC the iron tube upgrade would bump those numbers by 20%, making them about equivalent.

(I've only messed around with the electrical engines for a few minutes -- it seemed to be chewing through EU without producing MJ, so I wondered if maybe low voltage (copper) was not right for the electric engine.)

No, I haven't done comparisons for upgraded engines. Too many possibilities for me to tokerate.

And yeah, EEs tend to eat all available energy, from 1eu/t up to ???
---
mods suck
#6nmagod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:20:59 PM
spartalaughs posted...
I don't see how Electrical Engine is better for "green" power. Rather, based on your data, I would say that Sterling is better in efficiency and Electrical is better in output speed.

No, I mean, power the electrical engine with watermills, windmills, or solars. It's less of a resource hog then.
---
mods suck
#7nmagod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 5:40:46 PM
Combustion engine on one bucket of fuel outputs 592834mj in total
---
mods suck
#8TuxedoCyanPosted 12/3/2012 7:18:33 PM
How are you getting these mj totals? I haven't messed with these mods since minecraft 1.2.5.
---
Like it or leave it. Hey, where are you going?
#9nmagod(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 7:48:40 PM
Thermal Expansion has an energy storage block.
---
mods suck
#10TuxedoCyanPosted 12/3/2012 8:05:25 PM
Ah, that thing. Good idea. Yeah I used to test all the engines and do a lot of other testing back in 1.2.5 to see how efficient each engine is and to find out how much mj/t you needed to run every forestry/buildcraft machine at full speed. Good stuff.
---
Like it or leave it. Hey, where are you going?