Survival games like Minecraft?

#1Chubsy01Posted 4/26/2013 5:05:12 PM
I really like the idea of an open-world/sandbox survival game, and Minecraft does an excellent job at that, but are there any other good games conceptually similar to it? Most survival-based games I've found are either survival horror crap or games that have knocked off or drawn influence from Minecraft.

The idea of surviving on your own and managing your resources seems like an obvious idea for a game, but my searching has been surprisingly fruitless.
---
Stealing is wrong. Have your thieves repent by promoting into assassins.- Kiwi
#2Foxkoun25Posted 4/26/2013 5:28:57 PM
Unreal world is fairly ok, granted with a steep learning curve in that you have to really think out where your food comes from and how to survive the winter.
Not too sure about anything besides that and maybe terraria. Most survival based games are stuck humping the zombie pandemic.
---
Casual Gamer with a cheapo laptop..
Intel Pent. P6100/Intel HD Gfx/4GB DDR3.(All I since the multimile move til my current job picks up)
#3Robtcee13Posted 4/26/2013 5:39:13 PM
Don't Starve is a great example of a survival game. Granted you don't really have much in the way of terraforming to do, but the whole 'living off of limited resources' thing is done extremely well.
The trick to Don't Starve is not only not dying of hunger, but making sure your health doesn't get worn down to nothing. It's rather hard to heal. There's no regeneration, no potions to speak of. The best healing item heals you for less than a third of your health and costs nonrenewable resources. Thankfully, combat's not that big of a deal, but your health, sanity, and hunger will all wear away if you spend too much time messing around.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#4mar_50Posted 4/26/2013 6:46:00 PM
I would strongly mention Don't Starve as Rob suggested.

Sidenote to Rob (provided you return to this thread), did you use to post on the Rockband 2 forum as well, your name seems really familiar.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/snipsthecitizen