Snapshot 14w11a/b are out. Endermen changes, Minecraft destruction derby!

#1GastroidPosted 3/13/2014 9:00:19 AM
Changes in brief:

- Endermen now move and teleport faster than before.
- Endermen when teleporting can now spawn an Endermite.
- Endermites are Ender-themed Silverfish that aggro Endermen and attempt to attack the player. Most likely going to have other features, since they don't do much at the moment.
- Minecarts move three times their maximum speed now.
- Minecarts can also derail and fail to move around a corner when being ridden and at maximum speed, so you can't always zip around at max speed. You need to manage your speed and turns a lot better.
- Furnace Minecarts were buffed in some way.
- Lighting was reworked to include custom models. Custom models for more block types, thanks to Mog.
- The beginning of the removal of metadata. Transition to a state system that isn't limited by four bytes.

Get the new snapshot (which is currently at release b due to various bugs that needing fixing) via the launcher with a development version enabled profile.

Remember that with the 1.8 snapshots there is no backwards inventory compatibility. You cannot revert your profile to previous release versions without clearing your inventory, so use a separate save at all times.
---
Rotating Signature
This is not one of them.
#2TitanStrikePosted 3/13/2014 9:04:38 AM
Gastroid posted...
- Furnace Minecarts were buffed in some way.

How were they buffed?
---
oxxxx|==============> || halomonkey1_3_5 (El Pika) said... exec poop
MC, Steam ID, most other IGN's: KITTYONFYRE
#3Gastroid(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 9:13:23 AM
If they so much as tap another Minecart, they can potentially propel those Minecarts to ludicrous speed.

As it stands, everything about Minecart physics are rather broken right now, and as a result pretty much every rail system is broken. As it stands, it's a mess that needs a lot more attention.
---
Rotating Signature
This is not one of them.
#4ssj3bladePosted 3/13/2014 9:24:26 AM
Gastroid posted...
Minecarts can also derail and fail to move around a corner when being ridden and at maximum speed, so you can't always zip around at max speed. You need to manage your speed and turns a lot better.

This is lame
---
Intel i5 4570 | Sapphire R9 270X | Z87X-D3H | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 2x WD 1TB Caviars | 2x 4GB RAM | LG 23EA63 IPS
#5Z_hunter91Posted 3/13/2014 9:58:51 AM
Well...Seems I'll have to rework a 9000 block long minecart system then.
---
Pokemon Y: 1418-7097-6280 (Simon).
Flying: Spearow | Swanna | Rufflet
#6genandnicPosted 3/13/2014 10:40:03 AM
... And here I was thinking I just finished the construction of my railway. I do like the new top speeds of minecarts though, just not how they derail at every turn and change direction at every 135 degree angle.
---
3DS: 1177-6683-5828
#7benjaminkcPosted 3/13/2014 11:25:49 AM
How does the derailing on turns work with "diagonal" sections of track (repeated turns)? Does it consider that a straight section with 45-degree start/end, or a bunch of 90-degree turns? You don't really have a turn radius with minecarts. If this requires you to slow down before every turn, that'd be really lame, but I'd be ok with requiring a few blocks of diagonal between two perpindicular sections of track, and vice-versa.

What does the bit about endermites aggroing endermen mean? Do the endermen/mites attack eachother? Or does a mite being nearby cause the endermen to become aggressive to players?

four bytes

Four bits, rather. Four bytes is 32 bits.
#8Gastroid(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 11:37:32 AM(edited)
I knew it was four bits, but not sure why I typed bytes. Fun mistake for a compsci guy to make. Thanks for catching it.

Also, Dinnerbone confirmed that he does have a grand vision for the Endermites, one that may or may not eventually involve the Ender Dragon Egg. Let's see if this goes anywhere.

benjaminkc posted...
What does the bit about endermites aggroing endermen mean? Do the endermen/mites attack eachother?

If an Endermite is within detection range of an Enderman, that Enderman will run at the mite and kill it. The Endermite is virtually immobile, so it's a quick kill. It's turned The End into an odd place, since one teleporting Enderman creating an Endermite can get the attention of every bloody Enderman in the realm.
---
Rotating Signature
This is not one of them.
#9Pendragon71037Posted 3/13/2014 11:43:02 AM
Gastroid posted...
I knew it was four bits, but not sure why I typed bytes. Fun mistake for a compsci guy to make. Thanks for catching it.

Also, Dinnerbone confirmed that he does have a grand vision for the Endermites, one that may or may not eventually involve the Ender Dragon Egg. Let's see if this goes anywhere.

benjaminkc posted...
What does the bit about endermites aggroing endermen mean? Do the endermen/mites attack eachother?

If an Endermite is within detection range of an Enderman, that Enderman will run at the mite and kill it. The Endermite is virtually immobile, so it's a quick kill. It's turned The End into an odd place, since one teleporting Enderman creating an Endermite can get the attention of every bloody Enderman in the realm.

Sounds like a great way to make an automatic Enderman farm. Get Endermite in a cage (with water on top) have a huge drop below, with some sort of killing area, viola!
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 6. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. To err is human. To arrr is pirate.
#10meteor6666Posted 3/13/2014 12:11:36 PM
So endermen spawn endermite... only to attack the endermite. What
---
http://i.imgur.com/IeRQA6a.gif | http://i.imgur.com/ZZHoaEG.gif