What does raw weapon upgrade do exactly?

#1RoflCopter_23Posted 11/7/2011 10:11:41 PM
I was upgrading the dark sword to +5 then noticed I could upgrade raw which would increase the damage more so then a regular +6. Is raw the way to go for regular weapons? Thanks
#2VulcanHadesPosted 11/7/2011 10:14:20 PM
It hits harder at the cost of no Param Bonuses. Raw weapons are good when you're low level and don't have a lot of STR, INT or Faith. But usually the best weapons are the ones that scale (C / B / A / S).
#3arentol72Posted 11/7/2011 10:14:36 PM
Raw is a dead-end that keeps you from turning the weapon into anything better than Raw+10, which is basically the same as normal +12 or 13, but with worse stat scaling.

So basically there is no reason to use it ever as its only upside is becoming less than optimal a little faster and cheaper.
#4VulcanHadesPosted 11/7/2011 10:15:37 PM
On a side note scaling weapons don't start being good until very late in the game when you have like 30-40 str / dex / int or something like that. Until then Chaos / Lightning weapons are usually stronger.
#5VulcanHadesPosted 11/7/2011 10:18:20 PM
arentol72 posted...

So basically there is no reason to use it ever as its only upside is becoming less than optimal a little faster and cheaper.

I wouldn't say Raw weapons are useless. In fact they're the smartest choice up until Sens Fortess / Anor Londo where you start getting better weapons.

Raw Reinforced Club +5 hits harder than Drake Sword and has 300 bleed properties. That's nothing to spit on when you're under SL 70.
#6HumbleMavinPosted 11/7/2011 10:25:01 PM
first off you can only go to raw +5 not +10. and second you can cast temp bonuses to raw and basic weapons, which can be a very powerful bonus. especially the miracle one. you cannot however cast those on devine, chaos, fire, etc.
---
Xbox Live - Humble Mavin