Who/What can't you parry?

#1mrfantastic47Posted 11/15/2011 5:39:33 PM
I'm big on the parry/riposte. I just got to the Depths, and was wandering around when I started wondering what could and could not be parried. For instance, the little skeleton dudes with the shields...when the thrust I can never parry, but I could have sworn I did it once. The trees in the Garden? No clue. Dogs? Butcher's heavy attacks, and for that matter, boss attacks?

I was just wondering if there's a general rule, if it depends on your shield (highly doubt), or depends on the attack type. For instance, I'm always concerned with parrying an over head attack. Thanks!
---
GT - JohnnyontehSpot
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!"
#2drago1uk2000Posted 11/15/2011 5:42:33 PM
You can only parry enemies that you can backstab, everything else cannot be parried or rather you can but you only receive less damage than if you took the blow head on and thats it they don't get knocked back or anything.
#3mrfantastic47(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 5:52:14 PM
drago1uk2000 posted...
You can only parry enemies that you can backstab, everything else cannot be parried or rather you can but you only receive less damage than if you took the blow head on and thats it they don't get knocked back or anything.

That makes sense and answers another question I had: who can you backstab?

So...can bosses generally be parried or no?
---
GT - JohnnyontehSpot
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!"
#4darkfire9430Posted 11/15/2011 5:54:08 PM
mrfantastic47 posted...
drago1uk2000 posted...

That makes sense and answers another question I had: who can you backstab?

So...can bosses generally be parried or no?

AFAIK, you cannot parry bosses. You can parry Black Knights, though, which make for a stylish way to kill them as a low-level character.
#5ramzariotPosted 11/15/2011 6:17:30 PM
You can parry the last boss.
---
"It's not you, it's me. No, actually it's not me. It is you."
#6Nintendo guyPosted 11/15/2011 7:08:23 PM

You can only parry enemies that you can backstab,

That's not entirely true. You can backstab silver knights, but you can't parry them.
#7ReiderAsmadiPosted 11/15/2011 7:14:03 PM
Nintendo guy posted...
You can only parry enemies that you can backstab,
That's not entirely true. You can backstab silver knights, but you can't parry them.

Sure you can. They swing their weapons and you parry at the right time and *bam* you gut them.
---
Gamertag: LordReider
Ambition is just a weak excuse for not having the sense to be lazy.
#8Nintendo guyPosted 11/15/2011 8:03:19 PM
You sure?

I tried parrying one the other day, and all that happened was I lost a bit of health and a lot of stamina. It didn't interrupt his swing or allow me to riposte. I was using a pretty high stability shield (73), if that even matters.
#9deershadowPosted 11/15/2011 8:09:56 PM
^That's only a partial parry. I've spent a lot of time soul grinding with the silver knights, and I've parried them many times. Both the knights with swords and with spears can be parried.
#10darkfire9430Posted 11/15/2011 8:10:18 PM
Nintendo guy posted...
You sure?

I tried parrying one the other day, and all that happened was I lost a bit of health and a lot of stamina. It didn't interrupt his swing or allow me to riposte. I was using a pretty high stability shield (73), if that even matters.

I've definitely parried them.

Some of their attacks may not be parry-able, though. I've had difficulty with the spear strikes when they're further away.