Solaire of Astora's Real Identity Revealed! (Maybe) *Spoilers inside*

#1kJHGlPosted 12/26/2011 10:02:33 PM

An item and two miracles in the game come from the unnamed first born son of Lord Gwyn who was a god of war who had the lightning spear passed down to him. He was only interested in arms (weapons and the like). He inherited the sun from his father. Due to some unnamed foolishness that he committed, his deity status was taken away and he was soon forgotten. In any case, Solaire could be this firstborn son. Solaire is no stranger to battle and is probably the most powerful NPC phantom in the game. He wields Gwyn's lightning spear and he has an unnatural obsession with finding his very own sun. Perhaps this obsession comes from his past life where he had inherited the sun. So while he has forgotten who he once was, he still has an urge for all that is the sun because he once inherited the sun and something inside him wants him to reclaim it. Solaire is the french word for Solar. Solar normally means anything to do with the sun. It's fitting that Gwyn would name his firstborn after the sun as it was to be his firstborn who would inherit the sun.

Sources:

- First born child of Gwyn. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- Inherited the sunlight from Gwyn. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- Was a god of war. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- His foolishness led to a loss of the annals, and his status as a deity was rescinded. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- His name is unknown. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- When he was stripped of his deific status, he left the Sunlight Blade Miracle on his father's coffin. [Sunlight Blade Miracle description]
- The Great Lightning Spear was his weapon. [Great Lightning Spear Miracle description]
- He had respect only for arms, and nothing else. [Great Lightning Spear Miracle description]

If Sunbro really is Gwyn's firstborn son, then it would be fitting to get him to survive to the end so that he may battle the hollowed Lord Gwyn in the final fight.

#2RPGNinja123Posted 12/26/2011 10:14:07 PM
Are you sure he wields Gwyn's lightning spear? It always looked yellowish on mine and I know Gwyn's spear is more towards an orange hue. I also have Gwyn's spear on my 55 faith build as well and you can clearly see the difference in color.
---
Destroyer of Trolls and other assorted things. ^_^
#3kJHGl(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2011 10:16:51 PM
Sorry: The Great Lightning Spear is what Sunbro wields. He can't use Gwyn's Lightning Spear since that is forged from Gwyn's soul! I confused the two.
#4RPGNinja123Posted 12/26/2011 10:17:40 PM
kJHGl posted...
Sorry: The Great Lightning Spear is what Sunbro wields. He can't use Gwyn's Lightning Spear since that is forged from Gwyn's soul! I confused the two.

Ah okay just making sure, otherwise he should have been killing bosses much quicker if he did have it! lol
---
Destroyer of Trolls and other assorted things. ^_^
#5RaemnantPosted 12/26/2011 11:37:30 PM(edited)
Solaire is the son of the first born. he says so himself. At least...I thought he did.
---
^ Dat be true
#6AoENIACPosted 12/27/2011 12:51:56 AM
While I agree with the theory that Solaire is the fallen god of war, I want to point out that the game never explicitly says that "the unnamed first born son of Lord Gwyn who was a god of war who had the lightning spear passed down to him." It says that the Great Lightning Spear is the favorite attack of the old god of war, and it says that the old god of war had inherited Gwyn's sunlight, not his sunlight spear. As in, he was born with sun powers, and later had them removed when he was stripped of divinity.

It doesn't say anything about only the old god of war being able to use Great Lightning Spear, just that it was his favorite. And this lack of exclusivity is somewhat proven by the fact that you can also use the Great Lightning Spear, even when you're not in the covenant!
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#7RaemnantPosted 12/27/2011 12:59:02 AM
I wana add that he is also seen at the altar of the sun, where the broken statue of the first is.

And you can summon him in the final battle if you keep him alive? O.o

Sweet! All those hours of humanity farming for chaos lvl2 will not have been in vain
---
^ Dat be true
#8AoENIACPosted 12/27/2011 1:05:47 AM
All I have to say about this is that IF the fallen god of war does appear in this game, it's Solaire. Otherwise he doesn't appear in the game.

I support the theory because it doesn't conflict with anything so long as this is actually his hidden agenda, to find his father, his "sun", the former lord of sunlight.

It kind of makes sense if you trace his path through the game and then factor in what he knows about YOU and what you're doing. He makes it to Anor Londo before you, finds that his father left, leaves his old ring where his brother will find it, and goes to try to collect the lord souls, but fails trying to retrieve the witch's soul from lost Izalith. If you save him, he follows your path and waits for you to open the kiln, then meets his father alongside you.

It also kind of fits that he's the only warrior of sunlight you meet in all of Lordran and that he's the only person actively recruiting and that all of his power comes from his faith because his equipment is not magical.

He also kind of matches the description of the old god of war, foolish, and caring only for battle, but still watching out for his buddies. The modus operandi of the warriors of sunlight? To help other people in battle.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#9u1tradtPosted 12/27/2011 1:31:33 AM

Very interesting indeed.

By the way Gwyn wields the Sunlight Spear.

#10teknic1200Posted 12/27/2011 6:21:14 AM
I've been thinking this for a while now. I agree.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday