Co-op is not Co-op in this game.

#1FribbenPosted 9/29/2011 1:12:23 AM
This game is much more like a Soul Reaver or a Legend of Zelda than a Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance or a Too Human.

The experience in the game that people refer to as co-op is not actually a cooperative experience, it's more like summoning a helper NPC that happens to be controlled by another player. As the summoner you're looking for help in your world, as the summonee you're looking for souls and humanity.

This game is much more of a single player style game than people seem to realize. I don't quite know how to explain this to someone who hasn't played it. I'll not be responding or even reading this thread after this so you can yell at me all you want, but the simple truth is that voice chat would be important in a co-op game but this isn't a co-op game. This is really just a single player game with player controlled bots. The distinction is small, but it is real.

The co-op is not for playing through the entire game, collecting loot and experience together. It's for help in a very short term "help me kill this boss and then go away" type of way. There is really no need for voice chat in game.

Now, as for out of game. Chatting with people playing other games is great and I'm gonna miss it too, but this game and what they're trying to prevent, is worth the sacrifice and I hope you'll at least give it a "rent and see for yourself."

Good day.
---
Skyrim, Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Tomb Raider (yes Tomb Raider), and Kingdoms of Amalur, That is all.
#2auxPosted 9/29/2011 6:15:01 AM
Well it certainly doesn't have to be like that. But that seems to be the way From wants it.
---
Tag/PSN: aux80
Player skill and preference are not correlated. -IamTheWhiteGuy
#3AnimorganimatePosted 9/29/2011 6:37:36 AM

aux posted...
Well it certainly doesn't have to be like that. But that seems to be the way From wants it.
---

Yup, and the Mona Lisa could be throwing up a peace sign, but that's not the way da Vinci wanted it. And Bohemian Rhapsody could have had a rap section, but stupid Freddie Mercury sure squashed that idea!

This is From's creation, so it's their choice. I look forward to playing their work of art.

#4auxPosted 9/29/2011 6:39:31 AM
It's truly sad that you would compare the Mona Lisa to Dark Souls.
---
#5sythe343Posted 9/29/2011 6:48:03 AM(edited)
aux posted...

He's not comparing the works...he's comparing the Creators. Da Vinci used his smile in the mona lisa because he couldn't get a smile that he liked. He made his work of art his own, it's his, and shall forever be his.

From doesn't want players to be able to vocally interact in their world because it would not be part of the canon. The other players are Phantoms...a spirit...spirits cannot talk to the living vocally so they have to use other means...Messages, Bloodstains, summoning and gestures...By putting in voice chat, you take away one of the best parts of Demon's/Dark souls gameplay.

Being able to either help, or grief the bejeezus out of anyone gulible enough.

When i played Demon's souls, you had to be careful of messages on the ground...Why?

because sometimes they would be put in places that incourage newcomers into certain death. A game of Anonymity, loneliness, and misdirection.

This is exactly what From intended.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield
#6TreGoodaPosted 9/30/2011 3:40:31 PM
Animorganimate posted...

aux posted...

Well it certainly doesn't have to be like that. But that seems to be the way From wants it.---Tag/PSN: aux80Player skill and preference are not correlated. -IamTheWhiteGuy

Yup, and the Mona Lisa could be throwing up a peace sign, but that's not the way da Vinci wanted it. And Bohemian Rhapsody could have had a rap section, but stupid Freddie Mercury sure squashed that idea!This is From's creation, so it's their choice. I look forward to playing their work of art.

The lack of party chat is like Mona Lisa throwing up a peace sign.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#7importpowerPosted 9/30/2011 4:03:04 PM

sythe343 posted...
aux posted...

He's not comparing the works...he's comparing the Creators. Da Vinci used his smile in the mona lisa because he couldn't get a smile that he liked. He made his work of art his own, it's his, and shall forever be his.

From doesn't want players to be able to vocally interact in their world because it would not be part of the canon. The other players are Phantoms...a spirit...spirits cannot talk to the living vocally so they have to use other means...Messages, Bloodstains, summoning and gestures...By putting in voice chat, you take away one of the best parts of Demon's/Dark souls gameplay.

Being able to either help, or grief the bejeezus out of anyone gulible enough.

When i played Demon's souls, you had to be careful of messages on the ground...Why?

because sometimes they would be put in places that incourage newcomers into certain death. A game of Anonymity, loneliness, and misdirection.

This is exactly what From intended.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield

*slow rising clap*

#8kingdmhearts128Posted 10/4/2011 12:17:12 PM
^ Lmao
#9gunmetal27Posted 10/4/2011 2:08:48 PM
I'm still a little bit confused on how the coop works in this game. The reason I'm interested in picking it up is because I like games like this but I want to be able to enjoy playing this with a few friends. I'm told that there is 4 player coop.

Is there a way to actually invite three people from my friends list into this game? In Demon's Souls, I know there wasn't an actual invite but there's a work around to doing so. I'd rather be able to invite people into my game directly without having to put some things on the ground in a specific place to do so.
#10Rancoeur3Posted 10/4/2011 2:14:00 PM
It's a single player game with multiplayer components, just like it has been said many time. There's a pvp community with organized tournaments in Demon's Souls but the game wasn't meant for competitive pvp, it might even be harder to organize tournaments this time in Dark Souls.
---
Do not be concerned, life is hardly as precious as one might think.