Dexterity vs. Strength

#1Braedon12Posted 10/5/2011 3:15:59 PM

I am planning on making a pure melee character and im not really sure if i should focus on dexterity or strength. Anyone have advice?

#2Link43130Posted 10/5/2011 3:19:38 PM
Which kind of Melee do you want? Faster weapons (Katana, Spear, ect...) use Dex as a requirement to wield. Larger weapons (Giant Club, Large Swords, ect...) use Strength as a requirement to wield. I'd say raise both!
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130
#3Braedon12(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2011 3:25:13 PM

Link43130 posted...
Which kind of Melee do you want? Faster weapons (Katana, Spear, ect...) use Dex as a requirement to wield. Larger weapons (Giant Club, Large Swords, ect...) use Strength as a requirement to wield. I'd say raise both!
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130

Which is more common dex weapons or strength weapons?

#4CyricsServantPosted 10/6/2011 9:39:27 AM(edited)
Besides meeting weapon requirements, is there any reason for someone with a fighter build to rais dex? It just seems like Vit, End, and Str would be the preferred stats for a heavy armor wearing badass, even if a spear was their weapon of choice.

Does dex make you faster with time... or does it make you hit harder with certain weapons? Or does strength alone determine how much extra damage you'll do with a sword or spear?

Right now I'm a lvl 20 knight
17 strength
15 vit
15 end
12 dex
12 faith (for heal)

I'm using a battle axe... but I think I want to finish the game using a spear. I just hope I'm not screwing myself over by keeping my defense low
#5wemo14Posted 10/6/2011 9:39:59 AM
I think dexterity increases attack speed and also scales with certain weapons. You get an attack bonus if you have the proper dexterity to wield a weapon.
---
Carpe Diem
#6CyricsServantPosted 10/6/2011 9:50:07 AM(edited)
Yeah, the Wiki mentions strength will increase your attack speed... but it seems like dex ought to do that too. So I have no idea if strength only affects attack speed for certain weapons, and dex for other weapons... or if they both affect attack speed... or if the Wiki is wrong.

It's actually a little aggrevating. If I can't figure out what each stat does, I can't figure out if I have proper build. :/
#7MythgarPosted 10/6/2011 9:53:49 AM
I'd say it's a good idea to just raise one, and it depends on your playstyle. Beyond that, certain weapons increase in power depending on your stats (spears, daggers, katanas increase with dex while the heavier 2-handed weapons increase with str)
#8KhasusPosted 10/6/2011 9:54:09 AM
I've found a nice great sword that needed both high strength and dexterity. I'd say raise them both to be able to use any weapon you come across.
#9Master CilanderPosted 10/6/2011 9:54:42 AM
I have been wondering the same. I kinda don't want to raise both and gimp myself. I want high dexterity cuz it's stylin but I don't want to miss out on great weapons either and I suspect the best weapons are all heavy.
---
What do I wanna be when I grow up? I wanna be a mountain man, a mountain.
#10Master CilanderPosted 10/6/2011 11:23:40 AM
I read some advice that said it's best to focus on endurance and vitality while raising strength and dexterity for new weapons after establishing an early baseline for them.
---
What do I wanna be when I grow up? I wanna be a mountain man, a mountain.