Need help from a non-fanboy with varied tastes.

#1Obfuscation08Posted 10/6/2011 8:57:38 PM
Ok I'm going to trade in some games at eb games tomorrow. the first thing I will probably do is the trade 2 get 50 towards a selected title. So i'm going to trade 2 games towards modern warfare 3 if I have any that are over 8 dollars trade in value. excluding deus ex which has 30 trade in value.

So the power trades this week(50% extra trade value towards selected games) are somewhat lacking. Dark souls and Forza 4 being the only titles of any value. I played the demo of forza 4 and it's exactly like Forza 3 so that's out of the question.

So I'm wondering if i should trade deus ex for 45$ towards this or just use it in a trade 2 get 50 towards the new assassin's creed.

What is this game like for someone who got it with no expectations? Is it so difficult that it's not fun? Is the combat real time? Do the characters/items look good? I have trouble getting immersed into rpgs that don';t eventually have some badass looking loot in the game.
#2Surv1valismPosted 10/6/2011 8:59:10 PM
Oh there is for sure bad ass looking loot, but you will rage, cry and be near suicide to get it.
---
Xbox Live GT: IAstro ZombieI ( i's before and after)
#3S1nharvestPosted 10/6/2011 9:02:40 PM
I bought Dark souls on pretty much an impulse so I believe my review can be unbiased.

1. This game is difficult, you're going to die, alot. If you don't have the patience, this game is not for you.

2. This game is VERY rewarding, getting past a part that kicked your ass for so long feels so good.

3. The game is beautiful

4. Not much of a story/narration, but it fits the game just fine.

5, The combat is real time, and very fluid, the enemies are very smart, some of the smartest AI I've played against in a real time RPG.

6. You can see all the clothing you wear, and it changes in real time. very good looking gear.

7. This game is beautiful

8.You're free to farm to make things easier, but this is a very skill heavy game.

About 20 hours in, I give it a 9/10, only reason it gets a 9 is because I'm very bitter about my constant deaths.
---
All Hail King Ghidorah, if you've eaten the poison, you might as well lick the plate. 3ds code: 3737 9599 8539
#4Obfuscation08(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2011 9:05:23 PM
S1nharvest posted...
I bought Dark souls on pretty much an impulse so I believe my review can be unbiased.

1. This game is difficult, you're going to die, alot. If you don't have the patience, this game is not for you.

2. This game is VERY rewarding, getting past a part that kicked your ass for so long feels so good.

3. The game is beautiful

4. Not much of a story/narration, but it fits the game just fine.

5, The combat is real time, and very fluid, the enemies are very smart, some of the smartest AI I've played against in a real time RPG.

6. You can see all the clothing you wear, and it changes in real time. very good looking gear.

7. This game is beautiful

8.You're free to farm to make things easier, but this is a very skill heavy game.

About 20 hours in, I give it a 9/10, only reason it gets a 9 is because I'm very bitter about my constant deaths.

Beautiful in what sense? When I look at the images on this site the graphics look terrible especially the first screenshot. I know that usually screenshots are much worse than in game graphics but really that much of a difference?
#5Raven_ShikumiPosted 10/6/2011 9:10:22 PM
The game looks good, if you are going to get hung up on graphics this isn't your game.

In fact no game is your game.
---
Cannot forgive the mind, drained of emotion,
that seeks eternity.
#6carlosborja1Posted 10/6/2011 9:13:06 PM

If you want graphics, get Assassin's Creed. If you want a really challenging and rewarding game, get Dark Souls.

#7Rebel852Posted 10/6/2011 9:13:17 PM
Some of the best challenges I've faced in a long time. And I'm probably only about halfway through, I'll never forget my first real attempt at clearing out the catacombs.

I didn't have anything but my +2 longsword but I had good armor, so I get a little ways in. I start hacking away then quickly realize these bastards just aren't going to die, so instead of leaving and coming back later like a coward, I channel my inner Brendan Fraser (from The Mummy) and come up with a plan to kick/shove off a cliff each and every damn skeleton. I swear to god I must've booted thirty off the cliff before I gave up realizing I was heading downwards with less and less cliff areas. When I came back later with a (you know what) it was sweet, sweet revenge.