Can I do/discover all covenants in one playthrough?

#1mrfantastic47Posted 1/5/2012 9:48:41 PM
I'm currently a proud Sunbro, also have joined the way of white and "discovered" the chaos servant one.

I'm not sure on which path to take to make sure I DISCOVER them all, without necessarily joining them all right away, but leaving the option open to join them all in the same playthrough.

I just started in Anor Londo. Never talked to Alvina, did talk to the giant Dragon but never joined. I'm worried about betrayals and all that jazz. I haven't ranked up at all in the Sunbros.

What's the best path I can take to discover them all, and is there any way to keep them all open, or do I have to join some or all at first discovery? I hope this makes sense. Basically I'm just looking for the best path to do every covenant.

Side note, but I read about the Dark Wraiths and how to join them...that involves not giving the lordvessel to Frampt, right? Does that do anything to the story or do anything irreparable?
---
GT - JohnnyontehSpot
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!"
#2Steel_ShadowsPosted 1/5/2012 9:50:59 PM(edited)
Eventually you have to choose to join either Frampt or Kaathe, but other than that, you'll either lose the ability to join he Darkwraiths or the ability to sell stuff. I do think it's possible to do them all in one playthrough though, yes.
---
Games are like women, they don't have to be smokin' hawt to make me happy.-Mr_X_Returns
Member of the IRDC, where everything's a dirty joke.
#3mrfantastic47(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 9:53:07 PM
Steel_Shadows posted...
Eventually you have to choose to join either Frampt or Kaathe, but other than that, you'll either lose the ability to join he Darkwraiths or the ability to sell stuff. I do think it's possible to do them all in one playthrough though, yes.

So Frampt is pretty pointless aside from the souls, right? So it seems there's no point to not at least discover the covenant. Does it affect the story adversely?
---
GT - JohnnyontehSpot
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!"
#4RPGNinja123Posted 1/5/2012 10:00:04 PM
mrfantastic47 posted...
Steel_Shadows posted...

So Frampt is pretty pointless aside from the souls, right? So it seems there's no point to not at least discover the covenant. Does it affect the story adversely?

No you just can't get all the achievements in one playthrough is really the main point.
---
Obama is easily becoming the worst president of all time. Vote this idiot out of office.
#5ZamussPosted 1/5/2012 10:01:14 PM
You can do them all in one playtrough and be able to join all but one of them at will, wich is the gravelord covenant since killing Nito is neede to progess into the game, adittionally entering gwyndolin fog gate will break and make darkmoon unjoinable for that playtrough also talking to alvina if you have betrayed the covenant and did not cleaned your sins with oswald and obiously killing any covenant lider will make said covenant unjoinable gwynevere, petrus - rhea, etc.

Also for the achievements you don't need to join them, once you get the asked if you want to join the achievement will pop up.

You will only lose the ability to sell items to Framp wich is not a big loss at all.
#6mrfantastic47(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 10:10:33 PM(edited)
RPGNinja123 posted...
mrfantastic47 posted...
Steel_Shadows posted...

No you just can't get all the achievements in one playthrough is really the main point.

Fully aware my man, this covenant crap stresses me out lol so I want to get it all out of the way on the first playthrough. I get very flustered about certain stuff and this one is driving me crazy. Just want to stick with my Sunbros on future playthroughs, don't ask why I can't explain why I'm so peculiar.

And Zamuss, thanks for the above info, that helped a lot.
---
GT - JohnnyontehSpot
#7ArdatYakshiPosted 1/6/2012 3:36:22 AM
mrfantastic47 posted...
Steel_Shadows posted...

Remember that he can also convert bigger shards into smaller shards. Which, for me, is extremely useful. 1 example of this would be farming leeches in the swamp. They drop 5 green shards per time which 1 of them = 5 titanite shards if fed to Frampt. Easy farming titanite shards.
#8u1tradtPosted 1/6/2012 4:58:57 AM

ArdatYakshi posted...
Remember that he can also convert bigger shards into smaller shards. Which, for me, is extremely useful. 1 example of this would be farming leeches in the swamp. They drop 5 green shards per time which 1 of them = 5 titanite shards if fed to Frampt. Easy farming titanite shards.

Why are people still farming shards? You can buy every shard from the blacksmith in Anor Londo and some shards from Andre and Crestfallen Merchant. Why waste time farming them when they can be so easily acquired from some NPC's?

#9teknic1200Posted 1/6/2012 5:41:07 AM
I would recommend not talking to keathe until your second play though, the story will make more sense to you if you do.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#10ArdatYakshiPosted 1/6/2012 6:38:17 AM
u1tradt posted...

ArdatYakshi posted...

Why are people still farming shards? You can buy every shard from the blacksmith in Anor Londo and some shards from Andre and Crestfallen Merchant. Why waste time farming them when they can be so easily acquired from some NPC's?

Since they're farmable, why would I buy them? Save souls for better options like upgrading pyro flames, spells, armor sets, weapons, twinkling titanites (post-patch). This a quick way of acquiring small shards without spending any souls in case you still have a lot of things to buy.

So your statement is only true if you have nothing else to buy and don't know what to spend souls on.

Btw, It's not much waste of time as long as you equip Rusted Ring. You also get a decent amount of souls by farming them. When I farm, I usually get 2-3 large shards and 5-10 green shards per run. Plus about 1500-1800 souls every run. Each run shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes. And if I farm for about 20 minutes, I get about 20k souls and tons of large shards, green shards. Feed some green shards and I can get tons of small shards. It's rather effective in my opinion.