Dark Souls FAQ V2.0 *please read* (minimal spoilers)

gvandale
Posted: 1/19/2012 11:37:22 AM
Q. I’ve gotten humanity from bosses, why is my humanity counter not going up?
A. The humanity you pick up in the game goes into your inventory, you have to use it like an estus flask.

Q. I’ve heard about ‘POISE’, what is it?
A. Poise is essentially an invisible “stamina bar” that once depleted, staggers your character. The higher the poise, the more hits (or stronger hits) you can take without that weird stagger animation triggering. Poise is found in heavier armor (the heavier the armor, typically the more poise it grants), the Wolf Ring (+40 Poise), and temporary boosts from the Iron Skin pyromancy spell. There are levels, much like attunement, and they are as follows (thanks to EWGF for this information):

-40 Poise: Stops most non-issue light stuns from katana’s barbed swords, etc
-53 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Claymore Swing, probably the most important breakpoint
-55 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Murakamo Swing, might as well go for this if you are at 53
-76 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Zweihander / Greataxe swing (RB attacks only).
-106: The next breakpoint

More Info: from EWGF can be found here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60863465

Q. I’m tired of getting invaded, how can I prevent this?
A. Several ways. The most obvious is to play ‘offline’, or stay online and create a party. This kicks you into ‘offline’ mode in the game. You can play in hollow form, as you must be in human form to be invaded. Join the covenant, Way of the White, as it limits your likelihood of being invaded.

Q. How the hell do I make sense of the story in this game?
A. The story starts with the intro movie, and other than that it’s all buried in dialogue with NPC’s and within item descriptions. Talk to NPC’s before and after each ‘major’ gameplay moment (killing bosses etc) and keep talking to them until they repeat their last line of dialogue. Also consider reading the item descriptions, it’s amazing how much of this game is locked up in descriptions of weapons/armors/souls/etc…

Q. What’s a good shield to use?
A. There is no singular answer, but what you are looking for are shields with a high physical damage reduction (or magic, fire, whatever you need) AND a high stability. Damage reduction should be self explanatory (or magic, fire, whatever), it reduces the damage you take from that particular type of damage. Stability is a stat that indicates the amount of stamina used while blocking. The higher the stability, the lower the endurance lost when blocking attacks. Popular choices are Black Knight Shield, Blood Shield, Hollow Soldier Shield, Silver Knight Shield. These medium shields have 100% damage reduction and high stability, as well as allowing you to parry your opponent’s attacks (pressing R2 at the correct time). A special note for the Grass Crest Shield, as it has 95 damage reduction, good Magic reduction, but it speeds up your stamina regeneration. This is critical for boss fights where you are 2-handing your weapon.

***DO NOT POST YET***
Previous Versions
gvandale
Posted: 1/19/2012 11:05:21 AM
Q. I’ve gotten humanity from bosses, why is my humanity counter not going up?
A. The humanity you pick up in the game goes into your inventory, you have to use it like an estus flask.

Q. I’ve heard about ‘POISE’, what is it?
A. Poise is essentially an invisible “stamina bar” that once depleted, staggers your character. The higher the poise, the more hits (or stronger hits) you can take without that weird stagger animation triggering. Poise is found in heavier armor (the heavier the armor, typically the more poise it grants), the Wolf Ring (+40 Poise), and temporary boosts from the Iron Skin pyromancy spell. There are levels, much like attunement, and they are as follows (thanks to EWGF for this information):

-40 Poise: Stops most non-issue light stuns from katana’s barbed swords, etc
-53 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Claymore Swing, probably the most important breakpoint
-55 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Murakamo Swing, might as well go for this if you are at 53
-76 Poise: Stops one 2-handed Zweihander / Greataxe swing (RB attacks only).
-106: The next breakpoint

More Info: from EWGF can be found here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60863465

Q. I’m tired of getting invaded, how can I prevent this?
A. Several ways. The most obvious is to play ‘offline’, or stay online and create a party. This kicks you into ‘offline’ mode in the game. You can play in hollow form, as you must be in human form to be invaded. Join the covenant, Way of the White, as it limits your likelihood of being invaded. Lastly, there is an item you can find (the dried finger) in the Painted World of Ariamis that increases the time between possible invasions.

Q. How the hell do I make sense of the story in this game?
A. The story starts with the intro movie, and other than that it’s all buried in dialogue with NPC’s and within item descriptions. Talk to NPC’s before and after each ‘major’ gameplay moment (killing bosses etc) and keep talking to them until they repeat their last line of dialogue. Also consider reading the item descriptions, it’s amazing how much of this game is locked up in descriptions of weapons/armors/souls/etc…

Q. What’s a good shield to use?
A. There is no singular answer, but what you are looking for are shields with a high physical damage reduction (or magic, fire, whatever you need) AND a high stability. Damage reduction should be self explanatory (or magic, fire, whatever), it reduces the damage you take from that particular type of damage. Stability is a stat that indicates the amount of stamina used while blocking. The higher the stability, the lower the endurance lost when blocking attacks. Popular choices are Black Knight Shield, Blood Shield, Hollow Soldier Shield, Silver Knight Shield. These medium shields have 100% damage reduction and high stability, as well as allowing you to parry your opponent’s attacks (pressing R2 at the correct time). A special note for the Grass Crest Shield, as it has 95 damage reduction, good Magic reduction, but it speeds up your stamina regeneration. This is critical for boss fights where you are 2-handing your weapon.

***DO NOT POST YET***

No Action Available

No actions are currently available to you with this message.