Gwyn, Lord of Cinder NG+ Strategy - 100% Guarantee Win

#1Wegga77Posted 5/8/2012 4:12:04 PM
So I just finished the game on NG+ and was having a real hard time with the final boss of the game: Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. As soon as I walked in the door he would just wreck me. I am not very good with the super fast reflexes that are required to go toe to toe with him. After looking online I learned of a few strategies that I ended up combining with my own and kicked his butt up and down.

I realize a lot of you have no problem defeating this dude, but I tried him for several hours and was extremely frustrated. I would have loved a post like this, so Iím assuming there are others out there like me.

So hereís the deal... My characterís level was 115 and an even mix of might and magic. I did have 36-strength though. Hereís what I had equipped for the fight:

Havel's Armor Set (Found in a basement in Anor Londo)
Black Knight Great Axe +5 (Very important to upgrade to the max)
Cloranthy Ring (Stamina regeneration)
Flame Stoneplate Ring (Fire defense: +50 points)
Spell: Iron Flesh

Hereís the strategy:

I walked into the lair of Gwyn and immediately dodged his first attack. I then wacked away with the great axe staggering him ever few seconds. I then healed every time my energy went to 50%. Heal as often as you want. The fight lasted only a minute. I never even blocked or rolled the entire fight, other then the very fight move I did.

Hope this helps somebody!

Cheers to one of the best games ever made!
#2gvandalePosted 5/8/2012 5:23:54 PM
Really? That's a strategy?

Sorry to sound like a jerk.
---
XBL: Darth Vandale
PSN: gvandale
#3stevedarlandPosted 5/8/2012 5:49:31 PM
no offense but I agree with the above poster.

And what did Iron flesh have to do with this strategy or were you just posting what you had equiped?

your strategy is really just someone who got annoyed and went all out against a boss. I am guessing before you were trying to dodge and parry and move and were getting decimated.

Then you just decided I am going to two hand this axe and smack him till he doesnt move.

Dont get me wrong good job on beating the game again?
---
The world is already full of idiots......Please do not add another.
Gamertag: xL0ST SCHIZ0x
#4game_wiz101Posted 5/8/2012 5:55:29 PM
TC, you would be a hero had you posted this before the patch. This is literally what people did pre-1.05 patch, cheesing their way past every boss with heavy armor and (more importantly) iron flesh. Still, I'm happy you were able to finally get past Gwyn. I'm sorry you don't trust your reflexes, but it's probably time to get parrying down. Do it before heavyacademic shows up to tell you it's no excuse, as he is a 65 year old man with arthritis and other... "handicaps."
---
People, especially children, are inherently evil. - Omega Gilgamesh
GT: SmokyJoMama
#5Wegga77(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 6:31:16 PM
Wow! Three responses and every one of them is attacking me for how I handled the battle. I guess I'm just not as good as you guys. Maybe next time I'll go in naked with only a dagger. Then maybe I'd be a real man.
#6Wegga77(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 7:13:46 PM
You know... You guys really bummed me out. This is an extremely difficult game that I spent probably 160 hours on to get all my achievements. I worked my butt off on this game and you guys demine my accomplishment because I used heavy armor and a two handed weapon to stagger the boss. That's like giving a wizard crap because they use the most powerful spell. What I did was a 100% legit. The programmers allowed the boss to be staggered for a reason. And the boss is very difficult if you don't parry well, by the way.

Anyways... I hope my post will help someone out.
#7MalzelPosted 5/8/2012 7:20:58 PM
Wegga77 posted...
You know... You guys really bummed me out. This is an extremely difficult game that I spent probably 160 hours on to get all my achievements. I worked my butt off on this game and you guys demine my accomplishment because I used heavy armor and a two handed weapon to stagger the boss. That's like giving a wizard crap because they use the most powerful spell. What I did was a 100% legit. The programmers allowed the boss to be staggered for a reason. And the boss is very difficult if you don't parry well, by the way.

The strategy is fine. It's just that you're presenting it in a way that attempts to demonstrate a completely foolproof and revolutionary strategy, when it's just maxing out defense, getting your strongest weapon, and tanking. It's just something so straightforward and simple that it's not really required to create a thread around. The same thing works against the Four Kings, but because it can simply be summed up in the words "tank it", it doesn't require explanation.
#8Fisto_Posted 5/8/2012 7:36:50 PM
Wegga77 posted...

Learn to parry. You should have no excuse, there's a guy here who has arthritis and he plays Dark Souls, if he can parry anyone can.
---
Please assume the position.
#9eugene1222Posted 5/8/2012 10:00:16 PM
Last time I beat him before he could get my health below 50%

I love scimitar+cmw :D
---
Young master, i cannot aid one who opposes the master.
#10Scorpian_KingPosted 5/8/2012 11:50:21 PM
My last kill on him was 6 parries in a row and I took no damage.