About to play this game for the first time, and had a question.

#1vipresPosted 9/22/2012 1:54:51 PM
That's a partial lie. I had some time to play this game before, but I didn't have enough time with it to give it a serious attempt. My question is... Is a straight pyromancer build viable? I was looking at vitality, dexterity, endurance, attunement to pour my points in to. I'm not exactly sure how weapons with stat scaling work. There are weapons that use dex instead of strength, right? So if I stuck to using those weapons, would I only need enough strength to fully use it, so I could pour the rest into dex?

Let me know if I need to rephrase any of this. It came off as more wall of texty than I meant it to.
#2EdgeofLethePosted 9/22/2012 2:10:24 PM
Straight pyromancy is viable in PvE (but so is most anything). Just make sure you keep upgrading your flame to keep the damage up.

Re: weapons. Yes, there are weapons that scale entirely or primarily off of DEX. In those cases you only need enough STR to meet the min requirement (I think if you are 2-handing you only need 2/3 of the requirement - 16 for 24, etc. - but there may be a more precise formula).

Putting points into VIT and END early is never a bad idea for PvE, in my opinion. You want some survivability until you get learn the ropes, etc.
---
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
#3vipres(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2012 2:17:37 PM
Is it suggested to actually start as a pyromancer class? Or would I be better off with the class that gets all the bad ass equipment?
#4RPGNinja123Posted 9/22/2012 2:22:48 PM(edited)
vipres posted...
Is it suggested to actually start as a pyromancer class? Or would I be better off with the class that gets all the bad ass equipment?

Yep if no other reason than for the fact that you start at SL 1 you have total control over your character plus you get a crutch with the pyromancy glove. Also try reading the sticky at the top of the board for some helpful hints. The equipment will come to you later, and it is never about equipment that much for PvE it is about upgrading your weapon even if it is one you "perceive" as crappy they can all make it through the game.
---
"I roll through the block invincible like I got a star in Mario Kart."
#5vipres(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2012 2:44:13 PM
Can you duel wield pyromancies? Or is that even worth doing? Also... When you say weapon, I assume you mean both my melee weapon and my pyro glove?
#6Lord_999Posted 9/22/2012 3:13:45 PM
vipres posted...
Can you duel wield pyromancies? Or is that even worth doing? Also... When you say weapon, I assume you mean both my melee weapon and my pyro glove?

Dual wielding pyromancy gloves has no purpose except in a specific situation (related to the Power Within pyromancy) which I won't go into.

You should upgrade both your pyro glove and your weapon. This doesn't mean your starting weapon, but one or more weapons that you determine to be good.
---
XBL GT: Lord 997