Dark Souls tips and tricks for the new player

#1Nyde21Posted 9/27/2012 8:10:48 AM
I'm a new player. I'm very busy with school, work, my daughter, my dog and my lovely wife. I love challenging games just as this one, but unfortunately, my time is very limited. I wish I had all the time in the world to read up on how to play this game properly. Since my time is so limited, and the little time I have I rather use it to actually "play" this game, what are some tips and tricks you brothers can give me?

Please list your tip/trick
#2beggargirlPosted 9/27/2012 8:39:11 AM(edited)
Learn to run, jump, roll, and dodge. Learn to backstab and parry. You can slide down ladders. If you keep your shield up your stamina regenerates very slowly, so learn when to drop your shield.

Don't kill NPCs. You don't need to farm souls and level up, you are better off upgrading your equipment. Almost all weapons are good, pick one or two you like and stick with them.

You can zoom in and aim with bows. Crossbows can be aimed with binoculars. Poison arrows are handy for taking out enemies at a distance if you are patient and/ or stuck.

Not all orange signs are helpful.

When you are human you can summon help, but also be invaded. If you are invaded and new, try getting close to a fire so it is easy to get your souls if you die, or else go through a boss fog will make the enemy leave.

Keep your white stone in your quick slot if you are worried about being invaded. It will grey put if someone is attempting to invade and will give you advanced warning to get to safety.

If you loose your souls in a hard to get to place put on a ring of sacrifice. If you die before you get there the souls will still be there after the ring breaks.
#3beggargirlPosted 9/27/2012 8:47:50 AM(edited)
If a frog barfs on you and then the fellow at the beginning of the game tells you to go to ghost land to get help for that, don't take his advice. Look for someone who can sell you a much more reasonable solution.

Lighting a fire is not the same as resting at a fire. Make sure you do both.

Don't run off cliffs or into empty elevator shafts.
#4RPGNinja123Posted 9/27/2012 8:52:08 AM
Read the sticky at the top of the forums as well.
---
"I roll through the block invincible like I got a star in Mario Kart."
#5moodyjm2Posted 9/27/2012 8:53:55 AM
Upgrade your weapons and armor.

Don't ever "Use" Boss Souls or Firekeeper souls. They have important uses.

Don't kill any NPCs, unless you need to (you'll see).

You can never de-level so be sure about what you're doing.
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
"Say goodnight Manuel."
#6el_pinceroPosted 9/27/2012 9:12:49 AM
Here is one of the best videos I have found for new players. I have made a few of my friends buy the game and I always make them sit and watch this if they aren't getting the hang of things after a few hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21w40cHQdE&feature=plcp
#7Nyde21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2012 9:15:01 AM
beggargirl posted...
Learn to run, jump, roll, and dodge. Learn to backstab and parry. You can slide down ladders. If you keep your shield up your stamina regenerates very slowly, so learn when to drop your shield.

Don't kill NPCs. You don't need to farm souls and level up, you are better off upgrading your equipment. Almost all weapons are good, pick one or two you like and stick with them.

You can zoom in and aim with bows. Crossbows can be aimed with binoculars. Poison arrows are handy for taking out enemies at a distance if you are patient and/ or stuck.

When you are human you can summon help, but also be invaded. If you are invaded and new, try getting close to a fire so it is easy to get your souls if you die, or else go through a boss fog will make the enemy leave.

Keep your white stone in your quick slot if you are worried about being invaded. It will grey put if someone is attempting to invade and will give you advanced warning to get to safety.

If you loose your souls in a hard to get to place put on a ring of sacrifice. If you die before you get there the souls will still be there after the ring breaks.

Can I banish the enemy PVP player as soon as I'm notified that they logged in? Or do I have to wait until they are in my sight?
#8ShidoPosted 9/27/2012 10:02:45 AM(edited)
1. Get 25 Faith
2. Join Sun Bros to get Lighting Spear
3. Work on getting 10 Sun Medals for Greater Lighting Spear while raising Faith to 30 (farm Gaping Dragon for this)
4. Walk over most of the bosses and hard enemies.

That's the best advice that I can give any new player. Once you do all that you'll do 6000+ is spell damage alone between bondfires. Combo that with a Spear (I like the Silver Knight Spear, but the Winged Spear works just as well until you get it) and you'll pretty much be unstoppable in PvE.
---
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs and prejudices.
#9RPGNinja123Posted 9/27/2012 10:16:00 AM
Nyde21 posted...
beggargirl posted...

Can I banish the enemy PVP player as soon as I'm notified that they logged in? Or do I have to wait until they are in my sight?

You can never banish PvP players only white or gold phantoms. You will have to either win the fight against them or hope they die by falling a cliff or something.
---
"I roll through the block invincible like I got a star in Mario Kart."
#10Nyde21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2012 10:23:44 AM
RPGNinja123 posted...
Nyde21 posted...
beggargirl posted...

You can never banish PvP players only white or gold phantoms. You will have to either win the fight against them or hope they die by falling a cliff or something.

So what does the white stone do?