Dark Souls = The Best RPG of This Generation?

#51RPGNinja123Posted 12/4/2012 7:21:23 PM
Art Of Drowning posted...
The only part of Dark Souls I feel beats all the other RPGs is in its combat. No other really compares, that said, when I say "I think I'm going to play an RPG." Dark Souls is the last thing on my mind. There are too many things i look for in RPGs that Dark Souls dismiss or does different. Characters, humour, story, character growth and development. They are all arguably there in Dark Souls, but offered at a different pace and style. They tease you with it and make you go hunt it down. Even when you hunt it down there isn't much but scraps, you piece it together but there are still holes and many things are left unexplained.

When I want to play an RPG, I usually feel like a nice relaxing game session. Dark Souls doesn't really do that for me. I enjoy its combat too much, I like to PvP which is competitive and requires more effort from me than what I'm prepared to give when playing an RPG. I put Dark Souls in when I want something more along the lines of an Action Game with heavy RPG elements.

In any case, there are far too many good RPGs for me to choose one as the best of the generation. Especially considering how much they differ in styles.

Just don't say Oblivion is better than Dark Souls I might throw up
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), Metal Gear Solid HD collection
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, LA Noire Complete Edition
#52Art Of DrowningPosted 12/4/2012 7:45:08 PM
RPGNinja123 posted...
The only part of Dark Souls I feel beats all the other RPGs is in its combat. No other really compares, that said, when I say "I think I'm going to play an RPG." Dark Souls is the last thing on my mind. There are too many things i look for in RPGs that Dark Souls dismiss or does different. Characters, humour, story, character growth and development. They are all arguably there in Dark Souls, but offered at a different pace and style. They tease you with it and make you go hunt it down. Even when you hunt it down there isn't much but scraps, you piece it together but there are still holes and many things are left unexplained.

When I want to play an RPG, I usually feel like a nice relaxing game session. Dark Souls doesn't really do that for me. I enjoy its combat too much, I like to PvP which is competitive and requires more effort from me than what I'm prepared to give when playing an RPG. I put Dark Souls in when I want something more along the lines of an Action Game with heavy RPG elements.

In any case, there are far too many good RPGs for me to choose one as the best of the generation. Especially considering how much they differ in styles.

Just don't say Oblivion is better than Dark Souls I might throw up

Nah. Great game but so many flaws with it. The level scaling is the big one, but it can't compare with Dark Souls since it offers a larger world to explore but a much weaker combat. They are good for different reasons. Some of the NPCs and heads makes Hollows look beautiful.

One of my clear favourites this generation on X360 is Nier. An unpolished gem to be sure, but once you see past the horrible graphics and animation, the somewhat lackluster combat and often cringe worthy cutscenes, there is a good cast of characters and the story is pretty good once you piece it all together at the end. Well, good if you like the feeling of being punched in the gut whilst with child.

Lost Odyssey, Vesperia, Xenoblade and even many of the handheld/XBLA/Indie RPGs were all fantastic.
---
"A storm is brewing here right by my side
I've tried all sorts of disguises"
#53RPGNinja123Posted 12/4/2012 9:32:21 PM
I agree AoD there were alot of RPGs these generations that get constantly overlooked. The problem is there will be a time for RPGs ever again like there was in the SNES era, that was unprecedented. The industry is just moving in a different path and in the best case scenario they could only match it, not best it.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), Metal Gear Solid HD collection
#54Art Of DrowningPosted 12/5/2012 2:35:21 AM
RPGNinja123 posted...
I agree AoD there were alot of RPGs these generations that get constantly overlooked. The problem is there will be a time for RPGs ever again like there was in the SNES era, that was unprecedented. The industry is just moving in a different path and in the best case scenario they could only match it, not best it.

I disagree on the industry's inability to best long time champions. Granted, this is entirely subjective but honestly, games were simpler and cheaper back then. Part of the problem is that we've experienced so much yet to make something completely alien would simply turn us away. Innovation is needed but not so much so that it makes it something else. Dark Souls for example, is great in the way it challenges us and punishes us. At the same time, I can't say it is the best of the generation because it is so different, even if I truly think it is better in some ways than the others.

The best RPGs released this generation are, in my opinion, on handhelds. As much as I loved Vesperia, LO, DkS, Borderlands 2, Divinity 2, DA:O, ME1, FO3NV/Skyrim, Risen, Nier, Xenoblade and all the rest that I can't be bothered to name but clearly deserves a mention, I think games such as The World Ends With You is charming and innovative as hell. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is an improvement on the old VP series in a lot of ways despite the down sizing due to DS release. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky on PSP simply blew me away, even after Vesperia. While the gameplay was average I did really enjoy Crisis Core, seeing the events unfold from Zack's side and just seeing things degenerate for the guy was amazing in its own way.

I agree that the golden age for RPGs is over, though I'm not going to dismiss a possibility of a resurgence. I don't think, however it is fair to compare many of the RPGs against each other. I just take one look at Dark Souls. It's combat blows everything out of the water and so far and beyond the horizon that I want to say it is the best game. But how much, is that one aspect of the game worth? How do you compare it to a game such as Risen, where it's aim is to survive, investigate and fulfill your wanderlust?
---
"A storm is brewing here right by my side
I've tried all sorts of disguises"
#55Oey666Posted 12/5/2012 6:44:17 AM
DS is special somehow and very few other games had caught my attention as long as DS has.
---
Reason over religion
#56Aragorn_11Posted 12/5/2012 8:17:04 AM
j063356141 posted...
Aragorn_11 posted...
I honestly cannot think of any RPG this generation with a story even approaching "decent".

At least Dark Souls does something different in that respect, whether you consider the story good or not.

what about lost odyssey?

My initial reaction was to disagree, but I suppose its story is rather good. It gave me a few feels. I stand corrected.
---
http://sophismforbreakfast.blogspot.com/
#57moodyjm2Posted 12/5/2012 8:25:48 AM

I get what you're saying. Dark Souls is the most un-relaxing game haha. But if you're looking for a story driven RPG, there are plenty of other better ones, like Mass Effect 3 and the Witcher 2. But if you're looking for a gameplay-driven I feel like Dark Souls is the best. I'm sorry, I don't really think of Morrowind games in the same breath as these - I am very biased against them.

I've recently started playing Diablo 3 and I must say, it's incredibly fun and polished.

With all that said, I still think Dark Souls is the best of the generation.

Now will someone acknowledge my Baldur's Gate II reference? *throws tantrum*
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
Behold, the Master Sorcerer Knight: http://mmdks.com/9l6
#58RPGNinja123Posted 12/5/2012 9:12:34 AM
moodyjm2 posted...

I get what you're saying. Dark Souls is the most un-relaxing game haha. But if you're looking for a story driven RPG, there are plenty of other better ones, like Mass Effect 3 and the Witcher 2. But if you're looking for a gameplay-driven I feel like Dark Souls is the best. I'm sorry, I don't really think of Morrowind games in the same breath as these - I am very biased against them.

I've recently started playing Diablo 3 and I must say, it's incredibly fun and polished.

Both Baldur's Gates can go to hell, even though I loved them but its for the simple fact that on my laptop they both constantly freeze up every 5 seconds making it unplayable.
---
#59hakmiyaPosted 12/5/2012 9:45:16 AM
Almost but my favorite RPG would be the elderscrolls Oblivion.

If the multiplayer was more traditional I would like Dark souls a lot more, thats the only thing that gripes me about this game and its a huge one.

Give me a diablo 2 or phantasy star ep 1&2 remake with the same stories, same locations, same enemies, same classes,same weapons but use the exact same combat mechanics from dark souls and it would easily be the best RPG ever made.
#60moodyjm2Posted 12/5/2012 9:49:01 AM
RPGNinja123 posted...
moodyjm2 posted...

Both Baldur's Gates can go to hell, even though I loved them but its for the simple fact that on my laptop they both constantly freeze up every 5 seconds making it unplayable.

How dare you...
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
Behold, the Master Sorcerer Knight: http://mmdks.com/9l6