Dark Souls 2 Needs to have the classes actually mean something

#31FreshSushiPosted 12/8/2012 5:52:25 AM
Flow_149 posted...
RPGNinja123 posted...
Flow_149 posted...
The class system is fine. Your not bounded into any particular role and you're free to invest into whatever skill you choose. Personally I like it. Some of the starting gifts do need to be improved though. Especially you lame ring of unlock dialogue.

You say the class system is fine because its not bounded by any particular role... that DEFEATS the purpose of a class system. You contradicted yourself

How did I contradict myself? I just said that I'm happy on how the class system currently is.

You mean you're happy about the complete lack of a class system.
---
AE 2012: (Gouken), LoL: (Cho, Morde, J4), Chivalry: (Van)
Dark Souls 2, Cave Story 2 plz
#32ALoveChildPosted 12/8/2012 5:53:36 AM
I like the way things are now.

What I REALLY want is a better character customization creator
---
http://i.imgur.com/SuGRa.png
#33CrayonmuffinPosted 12/8/2012 6:29:48 AM
I like how the class system is, but if anyone goes to higher soul levels, MOST of the time there are only 2-4 different VIABLE PVP builds in the game. Changing up how classes worked might change that for the better.
#34Redjoker777Posted 12/8/2012 7:05:16 AM
The "class" system is like the last thing that needs to be reworked. It offers enough freedom so you can experiment a bit, while providing a good head start down one path.

Defined classes would only serve in making very specific parts of the game harder since the bosses/enemies would be more resistant to you.
---
Loshadt-"There are times when I wish I were capable of hating people to death."
#35simonbelmont2Posted 12/8/2012 7:07:16 AM
They should just allow the player to create their character, select weapons and armour from a selection of maybe ten different sets. Then give the player maybe ten skill points at the start to invest in what skills they want to. Basically remove the class system and let the player create the character they want. Then at the end of the tutorial dungeon if there is one give the player a re-spec option after beating the dungeon boss. Once the player leaves that tutorial dungeon they are stuck with that character and cannot re-spec again.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#36ALoveChildPosted 12/8/2012 7:39:37 AM
They should just allow the player to create their character, select weapons and armour from a selection of maybe ten different sets. Then give the player maybe ten skill points at the start to invest in what skills they want to. Basically remove the class system and let the player create the character they want. Then at the end of the tutorial dungeon if there is one give the player a re-spec option after beating the dungeon boss. Once the player leaves that tutorial dungeon they are stuck with that character and cannot re-spec again.

horrible idea
---
http://i.imgur.com/Vm4N9.jpg
#37Paulo_LopesPosted 12/8/2012 2:07:10 PM
I love the fact that the classes are pretty much only used to define your starting set of gear and you can mix and match whatever you like after. It lets me build a character to call my own and not just play with some other developer's toy.

My main char, Kaiel, was a wanderer, picked him up because he seemed cool with his single edged blade and lighter style with flowing moves... also, I knew nothing about how the way magics and pyros worked in the game so I chose something simpler for my first gameplay. Nowadays good ol' Kaiel wandered thru Lordran and found a nice set of Elite Knight Armor, got a Fire Claymore and learned how to use pyromancies and how to shoot a bow.

Classes should be guidelines but never shackles. Another game that I really enjoyed overall was Dragons Dogma, it had some flaws but it also did a lot of things well... the class system was clearly NOT one of those things that it did well. Your classes define what weapons and armours you can use... that's bull****, if I want a char with a Magick Bow and a Sword i should damn well be able to do that combo.
---
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~
#38orion5487Posted 12/8/2012 5:02:10 PM
Flow_149 posted...
Hmm. . .I wouldn't mind removing the class system entirely and starting of the game as something similar to a level 1 deprived.

This is kind of what I was thinking. For the most part, I like how the current dark souls starting system works. Although, I think it would be cool if everyone started off at level one with low base stats, then you choose your armor/weapon, gift and then you get (say 5) bonus stats to allocate however you wish. This gives more flexibility, and makes your character more unique.

During this whole process, each stat would be explained to help newbs choose as well.
---
GT: Orion5487
#39giantsirslayerPosted 12/8/2012 7:17:48 PM
How about covenant classes u start out with what covenant you want n level that way
---
Old man still playing, loving every minute of it. Xbl gt giantsir slayer
#40u1tradtPosted 12/9/2012 6:45:31 PM(edited)
I agree with RPGNinja here. Either implement a proper class system or don't call it a class system.

In its current format the class system is very misleading for everyone starting out for the first time, especially when they all have names like 'Mage' or 'Pyromancer' which makes new players assume that by picking that particular class they are obliged to stick to a certain fighting style for the rest of the game when there's no benefit in doing so. It's fine if the levelling system is flexible and isn't dependant on the class you start with, but for the sake of clarity the classes need to have something tangible that gives the player a clear incentive to choose one particular class over another. And the starting gifts don't offer that as far as I'm concerned.

Right now the only starting gift worth having is the Master Key since all the other gifts can either be easily obtained in the game or have trivial uses. My suggestion for DS2 would be to make each and every gift have a specific purpose that has a significant influence on either how the player approaches their play-through or how they approach the structure of their actual build. Incentivisation of the starting gifts would make the classes much more unique even if they don't affect the levelling system in the long run.

Another thing that would benefit the classes in DS2 in my opinion would be subtle physical differences between every class. I know we have a bit of that with the different backstab in certain classes but I'd like to see at least one unique physical element on every character rather than just one or two. I know I risk contradicting myself when I say I'd like those differences to be transparent while choosing which class to pick but it would at least save us the time of having to start over multiple times without a BB glitch to fall back on. Unless FROM end up allowing players to start over without losing their gear...

EDIT: With the starting gifts I also meant to say that each class should have their own unique gift that isn't available to the other classes, instead of allowing the player choose any they want. Or at the very least limit each class to two or three different possible gifts to encourage different playing styles based on specific classes.