The DSII Easy Mode Line: Step onto a side.

#1Dersu_UzalaPosted 12/8/2012 9:19:51 PM(edited)
Would you support the addition of an optional easy mode to DSII? - Results (167 votes)
Yes
11.98% (20 votes)
No
88.02% (147 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I think this is the biggest issue at hand regarding the upcoming sequel. With the game directors talking about making the game more straightforward, accessible and trying to turn it into competition for Elder Scrolls (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/08/dark-souls-2-and-the-fine-line-between-challenge-and-accessibility/), it looks very likely that they will add an easy mode. This is an idea that has already been advocated for by gaming journalists and a lot of people who just sucked at the original, which honestly isn't that hard compared to some other games. I do know someone personally who I tried to sell on DS, who plays a lot of WRPGs like ME and Skyrim, and she flat out said she had no interest in it because she heard it was hard. I'm not sure how they'd integrate it into multiplayer (could you only interact with people also in easy mode?) but I'm sure they'd find a way.

PROS of adding an easy mode:
- Higher sales(?) from a wider base of players, making more sequels and expansions more likely
- Less complaining and no unfairly low review scores from people who suck

CONS:
- Making the game possible for anyone to beat would devalue its challenge and hardcore image
- May divide the online playerbase
- Slippery slope to further mainstreaming, outside intervention, and poor design decisions in next Souls game (imagine the Souls equivalent of DmC)
#2mega478Posted 12/8/2012 9:18:07 PM
Voted no, but personally I don't think they're hinting at an easy mode at all. Making the game more accessible, maybe, but I think adding an easy mode would be their last method of doing that.
---
GT: Unchill
The Hard Egg Gave A Mute Echo
#3PhantasmplusPosted 12/8/2012 9:22:19 PM
No no no no no no no no no and no.

If there's an easy mode then there's no strive to get better at the game. If you get walloped then oh well, just turn it down to easy. It's all around just a bad idea. Higher sales isn't really pro if each subsequent game gets a candy land difficulty and devolves further and further into a casual game. They should be aiming the sequel at the people who enabled them to get one in the first god damn place, not these people who want to play an easy game that explains everything and holds your hand.

Sorry for the rant, I just really would prefer if they kept what makes it a Souls game instead of gutting it in favour of a wider audience range. Even if it is optional, it'll still devalue it. To me anyway, if you get slapped then pick yourself up and try harder, don't crank down the slap valve.
---
I'll just have to get a full apology from you later.
RARITYCATCHME.
#4Dersu_Uzala(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 9:25:01 PM
One bit of clarification: the director didn't actually say he wanted to make the series as big as Elder Scrolls. The Forbes article's indenting made it look like that comment was part of the quote.
#5RPGNinja123Posted 12/8/2012 9:25:26 PM
The Pros you listed for an easy mode, are ridiculous... people are still going to complain no matter WHAT happens, and Sales are never guaranteed.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), Metal Gear Solid HD collection
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, LA Noire Complete Edition
#6TheRedDashPosted 12/8/2012 9:27:07 PM
I love th challenge but I voted yes cause why not. We can play on hard and others can play on easy. I will even play on easy to just mess around with play styles and do quick runs.

All fun for me either way.
---
Liam Neeson > Chuck Norris
Not much for sugar coating
#7Dersu_Uzala(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 9:36:25 PM
The Pros you listed for an easy mode, are ridiculous... people are still going to complain no matter WHAT happens, and Sales are never guaranteed.

Well of course, but the demographic of complainers is going to be shifted from the casuals to the hardcores. There are statistically a lot fewer of those.
#8repliroidPosted 12/8/2012 11:00:21 PM
I only bought this game because it was advertised as being hard, your will die...alot etc etc.

It doesn't need a difficulty setting, it has a steep learning curve, which is what many people said at the start, but once you figure out certain things the only times you'll die is cause of edges :) Or invaders lol. I think I die now by falling off of things more than ever.

Also the Bed of Chaos is still the crappest thing in existence. He REALLY puts me off going in to NG+ >:|
---
XBL GT - NetNavi Megaman
#9ZephranthesPosted 12/8/2012 11:05:18 PM
Easy mode is playing a different game
#10RPGNinja123Posted 12/8/2012 11:06:33 PM
Also if you were playing easy mode how would that even work when you were trying to coop and PvP with people? If it divided the player base that would be the dumbest thing in existence and just another reason to never allow it.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls (just PvPing and Coop), Metal Gear Solid HD collection
Games on Deck : Dragon Age 1, Deus Ex, LA Noire Complete Edition